No sound- no Halion

I’m trying to figure out an ongoing problem causing the demo to crash, but in the meantime I’m making progress on a project w/ frequent saving. However, at some point, the “Halion” program (or whatever that fancy schmancy instrument that used to launch w/ Dorico stopped launching, and now when I go to the play tab, I see my instruments and the bar rolling through them when I hit play, but no sound emerges.

I’ve looked for a way to “manually” launch the Halion program, but I can’t find an exe. Anyone got an idea for me to workaround?

1 Like

Go to Play Mode and on the right side you see the VST Instrument rack, where you see which instruments are loaded. Left to the string “HALion Sonic SE” are three icons, the middle one depicts a strange looking ‘e’. Click on that and the HALion editor window will open.
Then try and play on the virtual keyboard and test if sound comes out.

If not, then please create a simple Piano project with a handful of arbitrary notes and post here. Please zip up the project beforehand, as the forum doesn’t accept the .dorico extension.

Additionally you could also zip up the folder C:\Users<your-name>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64 or ~/Library/Preferences/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine_64

Thanks- this worked! The instruments sound different than the default cellos I thought I was using before, but I can probably figure that out. Thanks!

Glad to hear. Cheers, Ulf

Hi, when I first load up the Halion , there is no output sound and then it crashes my computer sound, any suggestions?, thx

Welcome to the forum @DeanoBravo .
Please start Dorico and from the menu choose Help > Create Diagnostics Report. The corresponding zip file then please post here. Thanks

Hello Sir, thx for your quick response, funny thing is, i do not have Dorico on my PC, maybe thats why thiings are not working properly?, haha, with that being said, which do i download, Pro, elements or SE?, thx Sir

Hi @Deano_Mr , ehm, I’m completely puzzled. Do you have a Dorico license? Or do you use HALion in Cubase or Nuendo? In that case you are in the wrong forum, because here we deal with all aspects around Dorico.

Or do you use HALion as a standalone application?

Hello Sir, I am brand new to Cubase, was looking for the drumset, downloaded Hailone to add to it, when i generated it , it suddenly made the rest of my audio silent, was looking for suggestions, was directed here somehow, someway. Apologies extended.

@DeanoBravo , ah okay, now I understand. But in that case the advice with creating a diagnostics report does not work, because it is only specific to Dorico.
In regards to HALion, do you run it as a standalone app or do you load it as plug-in into Cubase?

Hello Sir, a plug in into Cubase, thx

@DeanoBravo , that should not disrupt audio in Cubase. What version of HALion do you use (or is it HALion Sonic or HALion Sonic SE?)
Can you create a minimum Cubase project that shows your problem, zip it up and post here, please? Thanks

I downloaded the Halion Sonic SE

And what exact version? Also, what version of Cubase do you have?

Please also create a Cubase project which demonstrates your problem and post it here. Thanks