no sound on imported midi file

Thanks for that. I have followed your instructions and now have USM as an option in output VSTs. I feel there must be some setting to tell Cubase which VST to use when importing midi files otherwise how would it know which one to use. I have looked through the preferences but cannot find it. Maybe what I am trying to do is not possible with Cubase 4 LE.

If anyone has managed to import a midi file and have the instruments automatically set for each channel, in Cubase 4 LE, perhaps they could tell me how.

As you can see I have Cubase artist 6. The setting you are looking for is found in preferences in the tab midi files. The last item on that screen is a dropdown menu where you can select what cubase has to do with the imported midi files. I have 3 options there, one of which is using Halion Sonic SE multitimbral. You don’t have HSSE in Cubase 4 LE, but USM should be able to do exactly the same thing.
I hope for you the setting is there as well, if it isn’t then I’m afraid you’ve run into a limitation of C4LE.

Please see screenshot of preferences. I can’t see anywhere to set the VST.

No, you can´t. The dropdown only exists since ver. 6

I see, didn’t know that. In that case I’m afraid the only option you have is to manually assign the right instruments in HalionOne. Inconvenient, but not much else you can do. Apart from buying Cubase 6 :stuck_out_tongue: