no sound on playback

Hi,

I have just installed the demo version of Dorico (Pro I think) and when I try to play back notes there is no sound. I did install the sound files and have restarted and my microphone shows in the audio window. I wondered if there might be something else I should do? I have a Sibelius Ultimate perpetual licence and am thinking about switching.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, please start Dorico and create a new project from piano template. Enter some arbitrary notes and then choose from the main menu ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’. Please post the corresponding zip file here. From the contained data I will be able to give further advice.

Thanks, here it is. :slight_smile:

Thank you for looking.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (451 KB)

I have been through a long youtube video online and figured out that I needed a microphone with a round microphone plug in the first socket, and that worked this morning, but it is not working any more. I’m not sure where I have gone wrong this time.

Oooo! I got it working :slight_smile:

And even without my help, even better. Happy doricoing

Hi,

I wondered if I could ask whether there are plans for Dorico to work with USB speakers at some point? We are working with headphones at the moment and looking at the price of speakers with a the right plug to go into the headphone socket, but they are quite expensive. I just wondered if it is worth us waiting a bit for USB speakers to be supported, or if we should go ahead and buy speakers?

Thanks!

Dear jsp56,
I don’t know why USB speakers would not be supported, as long as their driver has “normal” specs (like the ol’ 44.1 kHz sampling frequency). Or did I miss something?

Yes, there should be no problem outputting to any audio device that is connected to your computer. Are there any particular USB speakers you have, or are considering purchasing? We may be able to advise.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help. I have a Jabra speak 410, which is like this:
https://www.jabra.co.uk/business/speakerphones/jabra-speak-series/jabra-speak-410##7410-109

I saw a video online that said that Dorico only worked with the first headphone socket and I found that this is true on my computer. The first headphone socket works but the usb speakers don’t. It’s the same on my son’s computer (we have two licences).

Jen

Hi,

We just pressed about a million things and now the usb speaker works too. Apparently knowing it’s possible is what counts. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Jen

Great to know you’ve found a way to make it work!

Thanks :slight_smile: We have been trying different sound libraries to try to find a nice violin sound and it’s really hard to find a good one, and the sound keeps stopping working and then starting working again without any clear logic. Is it usual for sound to be a bit tricky with Dorico? I’m not sure how long the program has been out and whether it is stable in this area yet. I used to work as a coder and beta tester on an ontology development program so I understand the challenges of getting softare to be really stable. I would be interested to know how far along this software is in that regard. Thanks!

We just also got a loudspeaker with a microphone plug for my son’s pc and neither that one, not the USB Jabra speaker are producing any sound at all on his computer, even though the normal set of headphones was working for him. It’s a mysterious business this.

Dear Jennifer,
I do not understand the microphone part of your post. There is no way to enter audio signal into Dorico (yet), it is not a DAW, but a (very sophisticated) notation software. The audio output part is handled by multiple “things” in your computer, which have to collaborate in order to work flawlessly. These would be your sound card driver, Dorico’s audio engine, your speakers’ driver…
Since the speakers do work now, I suppose you found a way for all those things to collaborate and it’s great. Nevertheless, inputting audio is a whole different thing.

Hi Marc,

Sorry I just meant a loudspeaker with a round plug that looks like a microphone plug. I’m not sure what that’s called. We’ve got both computers working now, thanks. :slight_smile:

My husband says I am talking about a 3.5mm jack. The video that I originally watched about Dorico said that only loudspeakers with this kind of plug, that were plugged into the first headphone socket on the computer would be supported. It seems as though that video was a bit out date and now USB is also supported, but maybe a bit tricky to set up.

I just had a dig on youtube again, and it is this video that says that only the first audio jack on the computers works with Dorico, and not a USB microphone. (at 10:47 in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BcPJd92zqU

Is it possible that that video may be out of date now and could be taken down from youtube? It seems like maybe it is selling the program short if people look at at that and think that their usb speaker will not be supported.

Thanks!

Dear Jennifer,
I listened to the troubleshooting video and it is still accurate. Anthony Hughes is talking about outputs, never about microphone inputs. I would like to make sure you understand the point I explained in the former answer. Dorico won’t take any audio signal from anywhere, this includes microphone inputs, line in inputs…
What Anthony describes here is that the audio signal that Dorico feeds is outputs 1-2 of any sound device that you use as outputs in your computer. Most built-in devices only have one stereo output, which is what Dorico feeds. Some external audio devices have 8, 16, 32 outputs… and Dorico will only feed the first pair of outputs.
Regarding your usb speakers, you have found that you could assign Dorico to feed them, so it’s working as expected. Some USB devices might not work, because of a poor engineering in their original driver, but as Anthony explains, there are generic drivers that might work.
I am wondering why you keep talking about the microphone input of your usb speakers… Is it possible that you have plugged the headphones output of your computer into the microphone input of your usb speakers? I would really advise against it, since this would require useless Digital to Analog and Analog to Digital transfers, and a high risk of overload at many stages of the process, which result in poor audio quality.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It’s okay, I didn’t mean anything about actually using a microphone, or using the microphone socket. I meant the 3.5mm headphone jack and headphone socket. I got the wrong word.

Jen