No Sound - Please Help

Hello all. This morning I downloaded a lengthy Windows 10-update after which I was getting a plethora of playback problems (I was using Dorico 2 plus ‘NotePerformer’). Eventually, out of frustration I decided that the time was nigh to upgrade to Dorico 3.5 and subsequently paid for and downloaded the upgrade. Since then (and deciding to change my Playback Template to Halion SE) I’m not able to get any sound whatsoever (through either Halion OR NotePerformer). I’ve watched the fantastic YouTube video ‘Troubleshooting Playback Issues in Dorico’ and followed the instructions, step by step with no joy. When setting up a new project and adding a piano (as suggested in the video) when clicking the ‘e’ in Play mode to open the Halion window the piano isn’t listed in the left hand column! I’ve then taken the next step and deleted the VST Audio-Engine_64 folder and restarted Dorico but am still not getting a piano listed in the Halion window in Play mode. Please help.

Are you using the most recent update of NotePerformer? (Yes, I realize that has nothing to do with HSSE…)

Not sure about Halion (I have no use for it and don’t have it installed)… you MUST reinstall NotePerformer after a major version Dorico upgrade.

Hi Pianocol,

several things: For Dorico 2 that folder is VSTAudioEngine_64, that is right, but for Dorico 3.5 it is now named ‘Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine_64’, so please try to delete that one instead and try again.
If still no luck, please go to C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound and double click on one of the *.vstsound files in there. That shall register it in the Steinberg Library Manager.
Also repeat that in the folder C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound and it’s subfolders. Just double click one file in a folder, then the rest shall also get recognized by the Library Manager.
If you then try again with Dorico, still the same?
Also, I want to see if the audio engine is processing, for that please create a new project with whatever player, create a time signature and some empty bars and then switch on the metronome and press the play button. Do you hear the metronome beep?
Under this condition I also like you to create a diagnostics file (Help > Create Diagnostics File) and to send the corresponding zip file to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’. Thanks

Hi Ulf. Thank you so much for your detailed, helpful reply. Largely thanks to yourself, I’ve managed to get Halion working and have to admit that I’m bitterly disappointed with the sound. As already mentioned, I’d previously used NotePerformer with Dorico 2 with which I was able to send passable ‘mock ups’ to clients of how a completed orchestration could sound. By complete contrast I can only liken the sound of Halion to that of a second rate cinema organ which is not acceptable at all. I’ve just reinstalled NotePerformer but having set up a new Playback Template all I get is !!NotePerformer!! which indicates it hasn’t loaded!!

Sorry that you’re now running into the problem that NotePerformer won’t run for you. I’ll send you a link to an installer for the forthcoming Dorico 3.5.12 update that should fix this. Keep an eye on your private inbox.

Daniel, thank you so much. Whatever was included in the update link you sent has worked like a dream and I’m back up and running. Thank you again.

It’s actually my little magic that does the trick in the update :wink:

Thanks Ulf. Much appreciated.

1 Like