No stereo output VST ASIO generic Cubase 7.5 RME HDSP 9652

I just upgraded to Cubase 7.5 and am having routing problems and can’t get a stereo output like I could previously. I’m running Windows 7 64 with an RME HDSP 9652 card. I have 3 optical inputs going into the 9652 and getting signals from all channels and able to record. I’m using a Presonus Firestudio2626 for outputs to my monitors (this is not a stand alone converter and must be connected to the PC via firewire). The input signals work fine when I select the RME driver but the output is mono. Same happens with I select the generic driver. I only get a stereo output when I select the Presonus FS2626 driver setting, but them I lose the mapping for all the RME 9652 inputs. Funny thing is that iTunes plays fine in stereo exclusive of Cubase and the VST routing. Has anyone had a similar problem? I believe the issue is that I can’t use multiple sound cards becuase the generic driver is not supporting both the RME HDSP 9652 and the Firestudio2626. I would prefer to NOT have to buy a stand alone AD converter for monitoring or drop 1k+ for an RME converter. Any suggestions? Cheapest stand alone AD/DA is the Behringer ADA 8000 but can’t bring myself to buy anything from them given past experience. Thanks in advance for suggestions/help. I just want to get a stereo monitoring setup going and get back to recording and mixing (rest of Cubase 7.5 is working great). Thanks.

Okay, so after many hours of trial and error and process of elimination, it turns out the issue was not with the Cubase 7.5 routing, or my RME HDSP 9652 and the issue was with the Presonus Firestudio2626 which was not running properly. The issue was my firewire drivers. The solution was to change the firewire driver to a legacy version. Below are the steps. I did have to configure some setting in the Presonus Universal Control, but I am now able to use the ASIO device setting in Cubase for the HDSP 9652 and get stereo output to the FS2626.

Setting 1394 Driver to Legacy
Go to: Start-Control Panel-Device Manager-double click IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers-right click the driver-update driver-Browse my computer for driver software-Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer-select the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)-Install the driver and restart the computer. Firestudio2626 loaded. I have to credit the forum on the Presonus site www.forums.presonus.com It was also noted that if using a FS2626 that you should go to the task manager and open the Presonus Universal Control icon, check settings and CHECK FIRMWARE and update the firmware (be careful not to power down the unit while the firmware update is running). After firmware installation you needed to power down and back on the FS2626 for the firmware to become active.

Anyway, that solves today’s issue. I wanted to post my particular solution should anyone have a similar issue.