No transpose function in Dorico 4.0?

In Dorico 3.5 I could easily turn notes up an octave. In Dorico 4.0 this is no longer possible? The transpose function seems to be disabled…

It should still be possible, what method are you using? Is it possible another app on your computer has taken control of the key command?

(Are you also definitely in Write mode? an obvious one but just to be sure)

Through Write and Transpose in Dorico 3.5 I could move notes up or down an octave. In Dortico 4.0 I can’t do this via Write and Transpose because the function seems to be disabled. How does this work in Dorico 4.0?

You can also use key commands without opening the Transpose dialog.

Can you say a bit more about the circumstances in which you can’t access the Transpose dialog - is the caret active? what have you selected? does your selection include multiple key signatures that might not be possible to transpose by the same interval/degree? etc

As always, I select a few notes. After Write and Transpose I enter the Transpose screen. The Direction is not available and neither is the number of octaves. So I can’t get the notes an octave higher/lower. How do I enable this feature?

In v4 “Octave” is now its own entry in the “Interval” list, separate from “Unison”.

As a side-note, if what you want to do is transpose up/down by an octave then there are specific key commands for that: alt-shift-up and alt-shift-down (EDIT: ignore me, use what Lillie says below). You may find that quicker than using the Transpose dialog.

(Ctrl/Cmd-Alt/Opt-Up or -Down transposes by an octave; Shift-Alt/Opt-Up or -Down transposes by octave division, namely semitones in 12-EDO tonality systems and quarter tones in 24-EDO tonality systems.)

Additionally, the Direction option in the Transpose dialog is indeed not available until you have selected an interval and quality; when the dialog opens, “Perfect Unison” is selected by default, which leaves notes at exactly the same pitch as they started and therefore cannot go up or down.

For some reason I always mistype those key commands - thank you @Lillie_Harris for checking my work! (Who tests the testers?)

1 Like

Richard, you are always, always right so even just now I doubted myself and opened a project to check.

2 Likes

Given that this default is of no use to anyone, would not a different one be better? :smile:

David

It’s really not up to me to say, but what I would say is that any default in a dialog with many, many possibilities is going to need changing for most people most of the time. This default at least results in no harm to your existing music if you, for instance, confirm and close the dialog accidentally.

Thank you for your answers, but with what setting can I raise/lower notes an octave? Interval: Octave. Direction: Up. Result: no effect. So how…?

Have you tried the key commands that we’ve suggested, not using the Transpose dialog? And if it’s consistently not working in a project, perhaps share that project with a set of steps that you’re doing (which notes to select in which bars).

Ah, also make sure you’re setting a number of octaves to transpose – so Interval: Octave, Direction: Up, Number of octaves: 1

With a number of times Shift+Alt+Up I can get the notes an octave higher/lower. I have to say that this was better arranged in Dorico 3.5. But thanks for your solution!

Press Ctrl-Alt-Up arrow (Windows) or Cmd-Opt-Up arrow (macOS) to transpose notes up one octave in one press.

Yes, that works! Thank you for your time.

This could be helpful, if you want to get rid of double-accidentals. Transpose to perfect unison and get rid of double accidentals :wink:
By the way, as it appeared in another thread, if you need to transpose to an augmented unison down, it is not easily possible. I needed to untick Transpose Key Signatures, use the right hand tool (C to Cflat, apply), tick back the Transpose Key signature option, to get what I needed. This will probably be sorted out in an incremental update.