No Trumpet in Bb for player

I just tried to add a trumpet player in Dorico 4. I do not see a Trumpet in Bb listed. I see B, B with no key signature and Bb with no key signature. I need Bb with a Key signature.

Where could it be? Do I need to reinstall Dorico?

I am in Windows 10 on my laptop. Don’t have this problem on my desktop.

Which version of Dorico are you using on your laptop?

This is what I see:
(I’m using Dorico 4.0.10 on a Mac and, in case it makes a difference, System language and keyboard layout are both set to English, as is Dorico)

I might be slightly confused, as the one you’ve highlighted (in blue) is B Flat with a key signature.

Ben.
That was me, not the original poster.

:man_facepalming: Sorry @StevenJones01 . I must pay more attention.

@ASteelerfan - what @StevenJones01 said :point_up_2:

That’s OK.
I posted so he might be able to compare with what he was seeing.

1 Like

Here is what I have:

If I click on Trumpet in bl4, I can get Trpt in Bb. Not sure why.

Version 4.0.10.1044 (Jan 28 2022)
Dorico 4 AudioEngine Version 5.0.10.113

Your instruments database would appear to be corrupted. I would suggest a reinstall.

Is this an XML import? Sometimes the instrument definitions in XML files can conflict with Dorico’s existing instruments.

If the instrument is missing in a brand new project file, then that would suggest a corrupt application; if it’s just happening in one particular file, then that’s a problem with the file itself.

This was a new empty project for the example. That is what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Certainly if you’ve messed around with the instruments.xml file inside the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico 4 folder, you shouldn’t have done :slight_smile: and the best thing to do is indeed to reinstall Dorico 4.0.10 via Steinberg Download Assistant. Just the application installer is sufficient, no need to reinstall anything else.

But if you’ve not messed around with that file, you may well only need to reset the instrument name for the Trumpet instrument. Try creating your “Trumpet in bl4” instrument, then use the Edit Instrument Names dialog to check its name, and try clicking Reset to Default in there, then Save as Default. Does that help?

Daniel,

If I messed up the XML file, it was by accident. I did reinstall including the components and it is still incorrect. I am playing a concert in moments, but will try the editing within the program. If that doesn’t change it permanently, should I completely uninstall Dorico 4 and then reinstall? Is it possible to replace the XML file separately?

Alan

The program creates a Trumpet in Bb player when I choose Trumpet in bl 4. Hee is the screenshot when I try to edit the name:

I did try to save as default and reset to default with no change. As you can see, at the top of the window, the “editing instrument: Trumpet in bl4” can’t be changed apparently.

Can you send me the userlibrary.xml file from your %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 4 folder? You will need to zip it up to attach it here.

userlibrary.zip (1.7 KB)
Here you go. I did take a peek at a copy of this and see the Trumpet in bl 4 in the library. I don’t know how that could have happened.

Here you go. Replace your file with this version (after unzipping it, of course), and that should take care of it.

userlibrary.xml.zip (2.1 KB)

1 Like