No valid license found after update to Cubase 6.5

I just updated from my original install of Cubase 6, which functioned perfectly, to Cubase 6.5, along with the new Halion SE update. Now, when I attempt to start Cubase, I get the following message: “No valid license found. The program will quit now.” I do have a valid license, and the copy protection key is installed into a working usb input. Any idea what could have happened? Is this a common problem with updates? Any idea what i should do next? Any help will be greatly appreciated. (I tried to search the forum, but could not get the forum search function to work properly.)

Thanks
Baxter

Are you running the latest version of the e-licenser control center?

(Download here: http://www.elicenser.net/en/latest_downloads.html)

Shinta215:

Thanks for your reply. I wasn’t running the current version of the elicenser control center, and just updated, but I am still getting the “no valid license found” message, and Cubaxe 6.5 still won’t start.

Baxter

A few things:

Does the license appear in the e-licesner control center?
Is your dongle plugged into a USB3 port? If it is, switch to a USB2 port.
Try changing USB ports.

Thanks again for your reply, Shinta 215. My copy protection key is plugged into a USB 2 port. When I open the eLicenser Control Center and select “My Licenses,” the “Licenses” window on the right does have an entry for Cubase 6 / Steinberg, and when I roll my mouse over that entry, it states that it is a full license. Any other ideas? Should I try to re-enter my activation code?

Baxter

That should say Cubase 6.5, not Cubase 6.

How did you receive the 6.5 update?

If you bought it from the Steinberg shop it should have come with a license key (in the e-mail) to upgrade that license to 6.5.

EDIT: I just checked the Cubase 6.5 announcement in this form, and it states that the 6.5 update is a paid update, which explains my problem, since I have not paid for it. Anybody know how I can roll back to my original 6.0 install? Hello again, Shinta 215. I already have a full, legally licensed copy of Cubase 6, and downloaded the Cubase 6.5 update from the Steinberg web site. Is the 6.5 update not a free update for all Cubase 6 owners? Do I need to pay an additional fee to use it? Or, do I need to submit to some additional registration process? Thanks again for all of your help.

Baxter

The 6.5 update is not free, I think it was around $50.00 US and comes with a new authorisation code.

Mauri.

I don’t know if there is a way to just “roll back”, other than a complete uninstall and reinstall.

I think that your preferences will keep even after uninstall, but you may want to copy your prefs folder just in case.

They can be found at these locations (specific to your OS):

Mac OS X: “/Users//Library/Preferences/[Application]”
PC Windows XP: “System drive \Documents and Settings<your username>\Application data\Steinberg[Application]”
PC Windows Vista and Windows 7:
“System drive \Users< your username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg[Application]”