No video sound in Dorico 3 with UA Apollo 8

Have you checked that the video track isn’t muted in the mixer?

Does it work if you try creating a new project and attaching the video there? Or a different video?

Video is unmuted. I would rather not make a new project if I can avoid it. Wouldn’t it be a lot of work to put everything back?
I will try making an empty project just to see though and attaching this video. I did try duplicating the file after I detached all of the videos and it didn’t work.
I’ll try attaching a different video to see if anything is different.

My suggestion of trying the video in a new project is so we can try to isolate where the problem is. If the video works in one project and not another then that suggests there’s a problem in the project. If the video doesn’t work in a new project then it suggests a problem with the video.

I cannot get the video panel to show at all, even with test projects that worked in the past. A blank video panel shows up when I hover over the Dorico icon in the task bar, but clicking on it has no effect.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.0 MB)
fishBugVideoTest180603.dorico (412.2 KB)

Thanks again, Paul! Looks like a problem with the project, so maybe the best thing to do is export as an XML and then start from there? Is there any way to know what happened so I can avoid this in the future?

Ok, that’s good. I suspect then that the problems are either going to be with the mixer or the sample rate (eg that an external application has changed the sample rate). Two things you can try:

• change the sample rate in Edit > Device Setup (if it’s 44.1k then change to 48k, or vice versa)
  • attach a different video to the project

If the first fixes it then we know it’s a sample rate problem. If it doesn’t, and the second one is also silent then it suggests it’s a mixer problem.

For the old one or the new one? The problem is Zoom, which keeps changing my sample rate and generally wreaking havoc by forcing 48k. I tried those steps for the original project and neither worked, so would I need to do something to the mixer part of the first project? It is worth noting that if I try to add an effect to the video channel (again, in the original broken project), Dorico throws an error.

If you often switch between your regular soundcard output and Zoom, then it may be easier to change your project to use 48k. I suspect that when you first attached the video to the project, the sample rate was 44.1, so that’s the rate that the video soundtrack was created with. I think then this may be what you have to do:

• Exit Dorico
  • Delete the Soundtracks directory
  • Start Dorico, but don’t load your project yet
  • Change sample rate to 48k
  • Load your original project. The soundtrack should now be produced at 48k

I found another potential workaround that seems to be helping. This is for MacOS:
Open soundtracks folder with open $TMPDIR in Terminal
Locate soundtrack file that isn’t working or use the XML file to find which soundtracks are used for which projects
Replace the soundtrack file for the video you’re working on with a .wav file of the same name. I used Logic to make the replacement since I noticed that one of the soundtracks wouldn’t play at all, even from the finder.
Should work after restarting Dorico, just make sure that you’ve removed the original and replaced it with a file of the exact same name. The new one will be appended with a -1 automatically if you try to put both in the same folder concurrently.