No visual feedback on selection of notes/items

Hello all,

I have Dorico 1.10.202 running on a 2011 macbook pro with 8gb of ram and OSX El Capitan.

I’ve been using Dorico on and off, and while I’ve really enjoyed some of the features compared to other editors, and I appreciate the trailblazing nature of the program, it’s going to have to be a lot more stable before I’m comfortable using it as my main tool.

The specific issue that’s bothering me is a kind of visual latency. When I restart the program it works normally for a short time, then when I select notes or press ‘enter’ to use note entry mode I don’t see any visual feedback from my selection, or from the note entry grid, until I zoom in or out. Similarly, on playback the cursor is often 4 or more bars ahead of the music thats actually playing. Is anyone else having this issue?

Playback during selection is on, and while I can hear when I change a pitch, the change doesn’t appear on the page until I zoom.

Yes, this issue does affect other Mac users. As far as we know it is related specifically to playback: during playback, Dorico’s user interface stops updating. Normally you can spot this because the playhead and the transport control stop updating. You can often kick things back into life by wiggling the mouse, or scrolling the score, or zooming in and out, or switching to Engrave mode and back to Write mode again.

The nature of the bug is proving very difficult to pin down, because it is not reliably reproducible. We’re sorry for the inconvenience. I’m certain that we will get to the bottom of it, but so far it is proving a hard nut to crack.

Poralexc -

I’ve had this problem too. What works for me is to switch to the Engrave tab during playback then switch back to Write. Sometimes I have to repeat this once or twice - but that seems to clear up the problem as long as the file is open. If I close and re-open the file (or start a new file) the latency may re-appear. In that case, just rinse & repeat.

I’m running a Mac Mini w 16 Gig - still on Sierra - so (as the saying goes) Your Mileage May Vary. . .

I have this issue pop up on a regular basis too. Frequently (not always, but more often than not), toggling one of the sidebars (for instance, the note input panel in write mode) from its current state to another and back again, fixes it quite quickly. (e.g., if the sidebar is minimized, maximize it and then minimize it again … or vice versa: if it’s showing, hide it and then expand it again). I find this fix less disruptive than switching to a different mode, so offering the info in case others find it helpful.

An update on this issue: we believe we have a fix for it now which is being tested out by a few people. It’s hard to be definitively sure that it is fixed right away because the problem is by its nature difficult to reproduce on demand, but we’re increasingly confident that we have got to the bottom of it (it turns out to be a threading issue).

Thanks for the prompt and useful feedback everyone (especially Daniel)! The screen switch is a quick and easy work around for now. Keep up the good work! I’m excited to see dorico continue to mature.