Non-Linear in Cubase 12

Okay, thanks for the challenge! If I find some time, I will try to write down a HALion version :wink:

Thank you!!! That would be so awesome! I tried everything to get MIDI out, like you can in Groove Agent, and not only could I not find it in the manual, but I searched on line for 6 hours. I found plenty of discussions about it not being possibleā€¦

Iā€™ve been all over this documentation: https://developer.steinberg.help/

It should be possible to write a ā€¦ what you call it? ā€œsession viewā€, ā€œlive looperā€ in HALion itā€™self utilizing the sample recorder. Especially if they move the features from the Sampler and Groove Agent over to H7. I have no idea how to synch that up inside HALion, but it seems that it would be possible. Even a MIDI looper as well, if you can get MIDI in and then out again. Not that it interests me but I think it would be a worthwhile project, and if we don 't get Non-linear in C12, then it certainly would be worth whatever developer license Steinberg wants. Especially if they come out and say they arenā€™t ever going to do it.

Iā€™m 90% sure it will be in 12 though.

Anyone remember Steinberg Sequel? It had an FX rack at the bottom like Ableton and could potentially be a prime candidate for SB to try non-linear functions as thereā€™s plenty of room in the interface still.

I believe itā€™s still part of the download manager as a complementary product, see FX flow here:-

However, itā€™s really super simplistic and Iā€™ve never known anyone to use it personally! :slight_smile:

It would be great if Steinberg would also support Ableton Link in the upcoming Cubase version!!
Then you could, for example, easily use Ableton Live or Bitwig parallel to Cubase.
I personally donā€™t need Ableton Live built into Cubase either, I own and use both programs. But it would be really great if you could use Cubase to arrange while Ablenton Live is running in sync at the same time, because in Ableton in the Session View I get results much faster when it comes to spontaneously capturing ideas (the thing with the footswitch looperā€¦ .) . If you could then transfer the audio and Midi clips created in Ableton to Cubase, then you could arrange, mix, master there, use the great Midi editing functionsā€¦ just everything that isnā€™t so great in Ableton Live.
Maybe something like Blue Cat Audioā€™s new ā€œConnectorā€ plugin could help ( Blue Cat's Connector - Audio and MIDI Streaming Plug-In (VST, AU, VST3, AAX) ).
You could also quickly hook in with your loop/clip based iPad app or AKAI MPC and then record the audio in Cubase for later arranging (ā€œArranger Trackā€?).
Iā€™ve been dreaming of this for a long timeā€¦!
Please Steinberg: Find the Missing LINK!

1 Like

Hi, oqion, Iā€™m so sorry for mystifying you! My memory fooled me and you were right. Unfortunately, there is no real MIDI output in HALion 6. Within FlexPhraser (Arpeggiator), you can record generated phrases into internal memory of HALion and then drag them into a MIDI track in Cubase, but that is not what you want. I apologize for raising false hopes. Perhaps in the new version?

1 Like

You can get chord track to trigger Groove Agent pads with sustaining notes, but itā€™s too segregated to be useful. As mentioned earlier, just being able to do it within a track would take very little adjustments from Steinberg.

1 Like

I would like to have an Ableton-like ,non-linear feature in Cubase. I like both programs and with the confusion/demise of ReWire, Ableton Link seems to be something that Cubase could implement. ProTools and Reason are compatible with Link. Although I like Abletons Session view, Cubaseā€™ linear sequencer is great. I think the more likely scenario is that the Ableton Live Arrangement view will soon be equal to that of Cubaseā€¦ and for the most part,Live just"works" .

2 Likes

That, and Ableton Link, is exactly the reason why I mainly use Ableton nowā€¦
For me it is also very important to stay in the flow. Itā€™s really getting on my nerves how Cubase always interrupts this when I want to load a new sound, for exampleā€¦

2 Likes

oddly, it is a feature i would like to see for quick ideas etc before i fully arrange and produce in linear.
more oddly, i hate the loop/phrase structure in my fantom 6 sequencer along with many others who want to see a linear sequencer implemented. weird im happy for my daw to have it but not my fantom. its caused such a fuss with many fantom users who dont like the dj producer approach that roland has retracted the workstation label and now just catagorize the fantom as a synthā€¦ even tho it has a sampler and has a sequencerā€¦

Here is the whole project abstracted and packaged

1 Like