Norton Ghost OK? Other recommendations?

Two imaging programs makes sense to me. Like Matjones, I’m having a good run with Win7 imaging, yet I should get round to a second imaging system.

:slight_smile:

I’ve always used 2 mirrored drives for data.

I’ve never bothered on a system drive though. In all my 16 odd years of computing i’ve only had to reinstall an OS once I think. Small program installsets ( like plugins and other utilities ) you can store on you data drives anyway

Paragon is very slick. You can boot from a USB pen, with your back up stored inside it.
Acronis is reliable but lately it´s better to install it, make the backup and restore disks and uninstall it. Too much bloat. Supports Dynamic disks. Which i don’t know if Acronis doest it.

This brings up the question in my mind …

How do I test to see whether the drive imaging (not talking back up here) was done correctly, so that if a catastrophe happens I have confidence it will restore my drive correctly?

Would I need to have a 2nd computer to load it on to for testing?

Or, would I have to test it on my “real” system drive … :open_mouth: ?

I suppose you need to disconnect the working system drive and connect the imaged drive. I always keep my previous generation computers so You could do that, but specific machine drivers, won’t work of course.

Drive imaging doesn’t quite work like that.

For the record, I use Acronis. The latest version allows you to restore to completely different hardware, such as moving from a rotating platter unit to a solid state unit. It works, too.

Paragon has a verify option you can use, that’s about as far as you can go without restoring to an actual drive,I usually keep the last two images as a bit of a fail-safe,never had problems,you can get a bit paranoid about this.

If you learned to multi-boot with hidden partitions you could test it on one of them. :mrgreen:

Acronis has a validation feature, but it’s never not worked here.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: