Not able to burn CD with 48Khz tracks

Hello everybody
In audiomontage, i’m not able to burn CD because Wavelab Elements just handle 44KHZ tracks for CD burning eventough I use crystal resampler in Master section. :frowning:
Other thing got to be improved: the master section is not saved with the audio montage file, why???

And a final tough: I’ve been using Cubase For 12 years and I’m brand new to Wavelab but when I’m using WL I got the feeling that it is not the same company who did it (not the same keyboard shortcut, not the same menu for instance)

Ganax

Hi Ganax,

yes, you must have a 44,1 kHz montage to be able to burn and audio CD, so you first have to render your 48kHz tracks to 44,1 khZ using crystal resampler.

If you want to save the master section settings together with the audio montage you have to use the save master section option at the very right bottom of the audio montage window (the little button next to the filter sign for bypassing the master section).

Finally: In WL7 you can assign practically any keyboard shortcut to nearly all possible processes. So, if you want you can “design” Wavelab the way you like and make it behave more as you are used from Cubase.

To burn the 48k Montage, you can render the montage to a 44.1k montage (see the options in the Render dialog), and burn this (rather than resampling the files one by one, and recreating manually a montage).

Thanks for your all answers

unfortunatelly I can’t find the “save master section option” in order to save Master section setting with audio montage and there is no option in the Render dialog in order to render the montage.
may be because i just own the elements version of Walelab.
I also try to assign key num pad 1 to “move cursor to start” as in Cubase but it doesn’t work
Regards
Ganax

I can’t comment on the “save Master section option” in WL Elements, because I own the full version.
And there is no option to open “as new audio montage” after rendering?
For assigning the key num pad 1 to “move cursor to start” (in the full version) you have to look under options in the Audio Montage window and look under keyboard commands: scroll down up to “transport functions” (or similar in english) and there you can select this option which is now editable to num pad 1.

Lutz

I did not notice you have the Elements version of WaveLab. This is why you don’t find these options, sorry.

Hi, Folks!

It might also be worth pointing out that under the CD Red Book Standard, the only accepted sampling rate for CD’s is 44.05 KHz (usually abbreviated as, 44.1 KHz). So attempting to burn a standard CD at a sampling rate of 48KHz, shouldn’t work if you expect to produce a Red Book Standard CD.

No, not 44.05 but 44.1 kHz
That is, not 44050 but 44100 Hz

Went to look up the history again, which I remembered was interesting with heritage in NTSC and PAL video signals both being compatible for audio recording on U-matic tape. A good read: 44,100 Hz - Wikipedia

Luck, Arjan

I stand corrected by the guru, Philippe!

From Wikipedia:
44,056 Hz Used by digital audio locked to NTSC color video signals (245 lines by 3 samples by 59.94 fields per second = 29.97 frames per second).
44,100 Hz audio CD, also most commonly used with MPEG-1 audio (VCD, SVCD, MP3). Originally chosen by Sony because it could be recorded on modified video equipment running at either 25 frames per second (PAL) or 30fps (using an NTSC monochrome video recorder) and cover the 20 kHz bandwidth thought necessary to match professional analog recording equipment of the time. A PCM adaptor would fit digital audio samples into the analog video channel of, for example, PAL video tapes using 588 lines by 3 samples by 25 frames per second. Much pro audio gear uses (or is able to select) 44.1 kHz sampling, including mixers, EQs, compressors, reverb, crossovers, recording devices and CD-quality encrypted wireless microphones.[10]
47,250 Hz world’s first commercial PCM sound recorder by Nippon Columbia (Denon)
48,000 Hz The standard audio sampling rate used by professional digital video equipment such as tape recorders, video servers, vision mixers and so on. This rate was chosen because it could deliver a 22 kHz frequency response and work with 29.97 frames per second NTSC video - as well as 25 fps, 30fps and 24fps systems. With 29.97fps systems it is necessary to handle 1601.6 audio samples per frame delivering an integer number of audio samples only every fifth video frame.[11] Also used for sound with consumer video formats like DV, digital TV, DVD, and films. The professional Serial Digital Interface (SDI) and High-definition Serial Digital Interface (HD-SDI) used to connect broadcast television equipment together uses this audio sampling frequency. Much professional audio gear uses (or is able to select) 48 kHz sampling, including mixers, EQs, compressors, reverb, crossovers and recording devices such as DAT.

My lunch shall consist of crow! :blush:

Hello
First of all, thanks for these interestings answers.
I’ve just figured out what wrong with keyboard shorcut: I have to stop playback in order to"move cursor to start" (unlike Cubase where you can use this button during playback)

I’ve spotted an other bug :When I want to make several CD copies of the same audio montage, the rendering is done but not the burning.
It would be great too if Novation Automat was supported in the later version.
Regards
Ganax

Being redundant but resuming:

• Audio CD’s are burnt and pressed for 44.1 kHz reading which is the rate a traditional CD player scans the information.
    So no less and no more than 44.1 kHz is used to burn audio CDs

• secondly and nevertheless important:
    Yes, the assumption is right. Wavelab is actually not an original steinberg product but it has also similar age. originally developed for Atari ST (I believe) or PC by a french programer in 1995 (one single person) which for a longtime produced and developed Wavelab by himself; then much later in 2000s steinberg bought the software but left it basically the way it was originally programmed, also the GUI.