Not fixed in C6: Range Insert Silence less than 1 bar

Process bars is for musical time and range tools is for linear time.

The fact that they might work interchangeably to some degree doesn’t mean they are ubiquitous.

You obviously know some level of detail that I don’t. All I know is that there is a range selector at the top of the window and an Edit > Range menu with a bunch of operations that work on that whole range like copy time, delete time, insert silence. All of them are supposed to work on the selected range (ok, paste time pastes the copied range at the insertion point, but that makes sense) and this one doesn’t always work.

That is why I got you to dig up that link :slight_smile:

I don’t think the problem will be ignored but what I do feel is that (from experience) it will be solved in due course.

In other words priority will be given to graphic improvements. For example vertical scaling of MIDI notes in the key editor is something that will be fixed before this.

(24143)
(24136)

2 for 1 on ya Steiny :exclamation:

Has this been fixed yet, I’m having a really difficult time inserting silences of less than a bar. I used to do the old trick of adding a bar + the amount of silence I needed and then removing the bar, but feel this is a rather weak work around especially if I’m working with complex time signatures.

Thanks
F

I thought I read in the 6.0.5 release notes that this bug was fnally fixed, but I have yet to try…

I was just reading the list of changes so far what I see regarding ‘range’ issues is “1) Project: “Delete time” command now works properly if signature track is enabled.”

just updated to 6.05 still am not able to ‘insert silence’ smaller than a bar I have tried with both a tempo track and a signature track on and in the actual sequence and nothing.

Here is the setup I have. I have a 4/4 bar with tempo changes in it. I’d like to add a beat between beats 3 and 4 of the measure and have it be a 5/4. I have left locater set at (21.3.1) and the right locator at (21.4.1). I press insert silence and nothing happens. Now…this is interesting if I set the locators to (21.3.1) and (22.1.1) lo and behold, it works.

What I’m gonna try now is to make bar 21 a 3/4 and see if the reason I’m having a problem is that its mid-bar rather than ending on a bar…

Crud. :frowning:

Follow up. I changed the time sig structure so that the end of my insert silence fell at the start of the bar and I’m able to do it with any size locator range AS LONG AS THE END POINT OF THE LOCATOR RANGE TRAVERSES THE START OF THE NEXT BAR. SO…the bug has almost been fixed.

Are you sure that didn’t work all along? :wink:

maybe, but I was having fun thinking I discovered something. :confused: Anyway, Its still a pain and I hope they fix it soon as its pretty important to film and video work.

F

Well everybody knows we should be able to add a beat here and there or music just gets boring, right? So I’ll second your “it’s annoying” vote and up the ante to “it’s annoying for anyone who doesn’t want to make boring music.”

:smiley:

Another workaround:

“edit → range → global copy” works fine for copying any length (including just a couple of beats)
Just “global copy” a blank bit from somewhere else in the project, then “edit → range → paste time” to slap it where you need it.