Notating syncopation with tied notes

In the attached screenshot, I can’t seem to make the score obey the notation options for notating rhythms. Can anyone help me to get the notation the way it’s shown in the dialogue box?

(Note that I CAN get this effect by setting the first option under Syncopation, but this is bad because it forces ALL notes to split at the half-bar, even splitting minims into tied crotchets in bars with very boring rhythms, which is obviously undesirable. If this is the intended behaviour of the first option, then I don’t understand what the third option is supposed to do.)

You can’t do what you want here with Notation Options without forcing ALL notes to split at the half-bar. If by the “third option” you mean the “Notation of short-dotted long patterns” then that option is for how to handle notes with dotted values, which is irrelevant here.

Thanks, Leo.

By “third option” I meant the one on the screenshot that’s titled “Notation of short-long-short patterns that cross the half-bar”. (Sorry, I wasn’t very clear; it is the third option in the dialogue box under ‘Syncopation’, but the second that’s visible on my screenshot.)

Both the title and the illustration for this option leads me to think that it is supposed to apply to the case I’m concerned about. The rhythm in my score is identical to the rhythm in the illustration, in fact. But it seems to be overruled by the setting of the first option in the list, “Notation of short-long-short patterns”, however either is set. What am I missing here? What is this third option actually for?

But it seems to be overruled by the setting of the first option in the list, “Notation of short-long-short patterns”, however either is set.

Jumping on this thread late, I’m guessing that you’re right - the first option seems to be overruling the second option. Here is a similar issue - I’d like all notes in bar 109 to be dotted half notes, but that doesn’t seem to work unless the bar begins with a quarter rest (instead of a tied note from the previous bar). If I change the time signature to 4/4 instead of 2/2, then they are all dotted half notes. Maybe this is just a quirk of 2/2?

(By the way, congrats to the team on 3.1 - it’s beautiful!)

I think it’s actually a quirk of the fact that those bars start with an 8th note and rest. Smaller subdivision of the beats make Dorico more conservative about “beaming” notes across beat boundaries. In 4/4 the dotted half starts on a beat boundary, but in 2/2 it doesn’t.

You can change them to dotted half note using force duration, of course.