Notation Express for Dorico 4 is out

The question someone is bound to ask (so I will ask it) is whether this API is available only to recognized developers who have worked with Dorico or available publicly. The podcast was a little unclear on this, as if anyone could access the documentation and see the hooks available.

1 Like

Indeed. Presumably there is some documentation. @davemacdo mentioned there is a list of almost 1000 items that are addressable. That knocked my socks off.

2 Likes

There is some documentation. At the moment, I think it’s still in a kind of beta state. Not sure if it will ever be fully public, but it’s not currently. You might want to contact your favorite Steinberger to inquire about access. I had to ask about it when I saw it mentioned in some release notes.

FWIW, the documentation is clear but limited. We still had to get some help from Steinberg on our project (thanks Daniel, Andrew, and John!) and do a fair amount of trial and error.

Thank you. That is what I suspected.
Looking forward to see where you will take this new capability.

The update is out. Log into your Notation Central account to retrieve it.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience, and to Andrew, Daniel and John at Steinberg for all of their invaluable assistance.

The following issues present in the initial release of Notation Express for Dorico 4 (Notation Express 2.0) have been fixed (Notation Express 2.1):

• It is no longer necessary to quit and relaunch the Stream Deck desktop app each time Dorico is opened. However, you may need to do this once, after updating to the latest version of the Notation Express for Dorico plugin.
  • Pressing a Playing Technique button (or an Articulation button that is defined as a Playing Technique in Dorico) without anything selected no longer crashes Dorico.
  • For Playing Techniques (and Articulations that are defined as a Playing Techniques in Dorico), Clefs and Octaves, and Ornaments, pressing these buttons without anything selected will load the pointer (mouse) cursor, so that you can place the item into your score.
  • (Notation Express XL only) Key Signatures: The C# major icon is correct.
  • (Notation Express 15-key only) Clefs and Octaves: The 15 line down key is correct.

In addition, the Preferences button works properly. This was technically not the result of a Notation Express fix, but rather the Dorico 4.0.10 update, so please be sure you’ve updated Dorico as well.

Please consult the documentation carefully for installation instructions, or watch this video.

Please be sure to uninstall the existing Notation Express plugin and install the new plugin.

You should also remove the previous Notation Express profile, although if you have made any customizations to it, you may wish to make note of your customizations for reference before you remove it.

8 Likes

Just downloaded - works perfectly on my Macbook. :+1:

2 Likes

Works perfectly on my Windows 10 PC :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you, just downloaded for Surface Pro/Streamdeck/XL works perfectly :+1:

1 Like

Works great here too! (win 10 pro)

Works well on my M1 mini as well. No restart required, even the first time.

(And @Philip_R , thank you for the uninstall guide in the PDF, I needed that. Two thoughts, however:

1. It wasn’t clear based on the text that the screen shot telling us to ‘uninstall’ was in the right column in the main editing window of the SD. I was initially confused and thinking you meant the profiles page (lower left in picture). When I first open up SD, notation express does not appear in the right column (it is too far down for me) so I was unaware that it was even there). Perhaps this could be clarified.
  2. Also unclear to me was whether or not I needed to also delete the profile pictured above. The PDF didn’t mention doing this, although I went ahead and did it anyway. Perhaps installing the new profile either overwrites it or writes adjacent to the original one. Perhaps this could be clarified too.)

If there already is a profile of the same name, the new profile will be added to the list as “Notation Express XL for Dorico 4 Copy 1” (and counting up). I usually remove the old one before updating so I don’t have to rename the new and remove the old profile :slight_smile:

New Version works flawlessly on my end! Thanks @Philip_R for the hard work!

Yes, we will try to make this clearer in the future, thanks @Romanos. It starts getting into “how to use the Stream Deck” territory as opposed to something specific to Notation Express, but I do recognize that for many people they are only using Stream Deck to control Dorico and nothing else, and thus aren’t quite as familiar with the concept of Stream Deck plugins and profiles and how they work.

2 Likes

I love that you have a key on your main profile devoted to launching the Dorico forum!

2 Likes

I really need to update that screen; I set up my XL about two years ago when it was brand new and haven’t futzed with it all that much since then. Now, I keep the forum tab open on my computer all the time so it’s not necessary anymore.

I will say that I do have profiles set up for other programs though—not just dorico—and it is just as useful in those programs as this profile is in Dorico. I really do love the thing.

1 Like

I’ve tried everything recommended to get Notation Express for Dorico 4 to work but have had no success.
I followed Philip’s video exactly. I have been using StreamDeck XL successfully with other software.
Here’s the problem,
After clicking to install the plugin, which it does, (I see the Notation Express for Dorico in StreamDeck under the ‘Custom’ section).
I never get the pop-up that says
"Allow connection for remote control from “Notation Exppress Stream Deck Plugin for Dorico”?
I’m using the latest StreamDeck software, and am using Notation Express 2.1
Any clues?
Thanks in advance!
Bob

Hi Bob.
For Stream Deck to establish a connection with Dorico (which uses a different technology than you are probably using with other software), Dorico needs to be running before launching the Stream Deck app. On a Mac, you can quit Stream Deck from the menu bar. On Windows, it’s a little more complicated: you have to quit Stream Deck from the Task Manager (ctrl alt del). If you’re running NE 2.1, you should only need to do this once.

Is there any kind of word as to when NE for D4 will support the newer features in v4? It’s not mission critical for me. I’m only asking out of curiosity and the desire to stay up-to-date on it :slight_smile:

I asked them that in an email a couple of days after 4.3 came out. They told me it was planned, that they wanted it for themselves to use even, but could not give me a timeframe. I trust them :slight_smile:

I have Notation Express XL installed and am getting mostly “?” when clicking on any of the top level folders in Streamdeck XL. Where have I gone wrong? I did follow the installation instructions very carefully—or so I thought!