Notation issues

trying to clean up this piece of music and ran into some issues. please check out the picture. main issue is #2.

the first instance has an unusual notation for the end of the trill, but all ‘sounds’ correct and has the same rhythmn. i wonder if its possible to make this not look so weird. i cant seem to fix it.

the second instance has a note that doesnt playback. it was originally an eighth note but i changed it to a 16th which causes the note not to playback. it works fine if i leave it as an eighth note.

#1 is fine for playback but ugly for print or reading.
#2 is fine for print but plays back incorrectly/not at all.

thanks!

another thing with rests appearing in random places.
weird rests.JPG

Did you get this music into Dorico by
a) step-entry within Dorico?
b) real-time MIDI entry within Dorico?
c) MIDI import from other software?
d) MusicXML import from other software?

1. Why not just use an actual trill?
  2. Is it possible that the sample just isn’t speaking quickly enough? If so, you might be able to adjust the attack of that sample, depending on which sample library you’re using.
  3. Turn on View > Note and Rest Colors > Voice Colors and take that screenshot again (the one with the rests).

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, these are all imported tracks from midi - however the 3rd issue arose when I added the third note, lowest in the treble clef (yellow) - post import. Here’s another screen shot of that below.

#1) That is a good point - ill notate the trill with an actual trill as opposed to the notes/rhythms. :slight_smile:

#2) Unfortunately I don’t have attack options for my sample software (free version of Garriton within ARIA player). You could be right though. I wonder if there is a way I can rectify this. Alas, I’m tempted to buy note performer, or something similar. I suppose it isn’t too big a deal as long as it playable in real life.

lastly I am still a new at this software and with notation and I hope that you all can forgive me for my lack there of knowledge in this field. I may have more forum posts in the future and thus sorry for any annoyance surrounding user error on my end.
Thanks!
rests issue with voice colours.JPG

Select the yellow E, right-click, go Voice > Change Voice > Downstem Voice 1 (or Downstem Voice whatever the purple seems to be). That will mean that the yellow voice is empty in that bar, and all relevant rests should (theoretically) magically disappear.

The quick and dirty solution to this is to select all the rests you don’t want - it doesn’t matter if you’ve got notes and other elements selected too - and go Edit > Remove rests. Ideally you want to know why the extra rests are appearing, and consolidating the existing voices will likely save you time.

Voice > Change Voice > Downstem Voice 1 didnt work, it made the yellow rests change to green colour but stay where they were. however thankyou for teaching me this voices mechanic. i wasnt aware of it before. it will definitely come in handy in the future.

Edit > Remove rests by clicking on each individual rest worked. now it looks like this.

i agree. i would like to understand the fundamental issue behind why the rests are being put inbetween the staff and stacking mutliple rests on a single beat. to fix it is one thing, but to be able to avoid it in the future and know why its happening is much more useful.
cheers
voices.JPG

1:26 on:

i understand whats causing it now. Dorico considers separate voices as different instances of that same bar super imposed upon one another.