notation text markings

Doe Dorico plan to add markings like “Solo”,“tutti”, “espressivo”, etc…

Things like “solo” and “tutti” will be part of the future features relating to divisi and production of conductors’ scores; I would suggest you add them using Shift+X text for the time being.

Things like “espressivo” you could add either as Shift+X text or as custom text for a dynamic (you can choose to e.g. hide the “p” or “mf” marking that is also required via properties).

I also had a problem with “solo” being produced from Text, clashing with dynamics but then managed to shift things around in Engrave Mode. My other text problem has been trying to use it for Harp Pedalling (which I know is on the way) but finding a way of adding a natural or sharp sign after a letter (as is Sib cmd 7,8,9 on Mac) has so far eluded me though it has been suggested to find a Bravura text font and copy and paste into Dorico. Charmap.exe has been suggested but do you know a Mac equivalent and would this be a good workaround for now?

Regarding harp, check my latest post in your other thread :slight_smile:

Paul, the way I personally insert sharps and flats is like this, but I don’t know whether you’ll like it! Go to Keyboard in System Preferences, choose the ‘Input Sources’ page, and add ‘Unicode Hex Input’. Switch on the ‘Show input menu in menu bar’ checkbox if it’s not on already.

Now do Shift+X to start some text in Dorico. When you want to type a sharp or a flat, switch to the ‘Music text’ character style, which you can do using the menu in the top right-hand corner of the text editing popover. Now switch to Unicode Hex Input in the input menu in your Mac’s menu bar (the menu is hiding behind an icon that looks like a little national flag, for me a British flag). Now hold Alt and type 266D for a flat, 266F for a sharp, or 266E for a natural.

Any word yet on approximately when this will be coming to Dorico? These features, as well as cues in parts, are really all I need before I can use Dorico for all my work — which I am greatly looking forward to!

Cues are a high priority but will not be included in the next update, though the current plan is that they will be coming in the one following. To implement the kind of handling we have planned for solo/tutti/divisi etc. will take considerably more time, but the pay-off will be worth it, and in the meantime you shouldn’t really be much worse off than you are in Finale or Sibelius in preparing those kinds of works with Dorico.

That’s great news. As I’m sure you know, making cues in Finale is an incredible pain, and I’m sure Dorico will have a much superior implementation.

To implement the kind of handling we have planned for solo/tutti/divisi etc. will take considerably more time, but the pay-off will be worth it, and in the meantime you shouldn’t really be much worse off than you are in Finale or Sibelius in preparing those kinds of works with Dorico.

This issue I see with doing this sort of work in Dorico is that, unless I’m missing something, if I write, say, two flutes on one staff, there’s no way to subsequently copy each voice individually to create its own part — something that is pretty simple to do in Finale. Is there a way to copy voices individually, or a way to select, for example, only the lowest note of each chord in a series?

Is there a way to copy voices individually, or a way to select, for example, only the lowest note of each chord in a series?

No, not yet, but this at least should be possible in the next update – it’s not yet implemented but it’s something that is still at the moment considered in scope for the next update, so provided we don’t run into any major delays or problems I expect it will be included.

¡Hi! Any word on features relating divisi?

By the way, the way 1.2 handles cues is awesomely awesome. The best thing out there. Keep the great work!

We are going to be working on divisi soon, so watch this space.

Hi, just popping in to get an update on the progress of this feature. Working on an orchestration where a “Solo” marking would be helpful. Thank you!

The Divisi feature was introduced in Dorico 2 in May 2018. You’ll find instructions on how to use it here: Inputting divisi changes