Notation

How can I make this in 4/4 timing?

What rhythmic duration is that figure intended to fill? A full bar?

no here is the full measure (ignore the note above octave line):

1 Like

Ok, so over the span of a dotted quarter?

Note input
Shift-V if needed to create a downstem voice
Press 5 for 8th notes
Semicolon key for tuplet popover
15:3 (15 8ths in the span of 3)
Enter
Input notes

the thing that confuses me is how to get the G in the bottom staff to connect with staff above? also what do you mean by span of dotted quarter?

The 15-tuplet occupies the span of a dotted quarter note, since it’s preceded by an 8th rest. That’s important to know so you know how long to make it.

Select the G and press M to bump it to the staff below.

well, it’s a 26:3 tuplet actually :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@dan_kreider What are the 15 eighth notes then because I can visually see more than just 15?

So then why did the composer write it as 15 when it is more than that?

the 15 is clearly 2 octaves up. It’s the top note in the passage, taken by the left hand. Obvious to any pianist I’d say… :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh! so it means 15 notes above?

absolutely

2 Likes

Thanks.

Oops, sorry. Reading is hard… Yeah, however many notes it is, that should be entered as X:3 in the tuplet popover.

2 Likes

Wouldn‘t it be 27:4, which would include the quaver rest?

Edit: I guess you are right (27:3) based on the beaming group

It still won’t work effectively. I keep getting this (it still plays the correct pitch but it does not match up with what it should look like):

Did you recreate this in Dorico? If so, how? @fratveno

Does it have to play back properly in the computer?

(I’m puzzled why the composer did not notate the high G in the top staff with a m.s. Playing Technique. Perhaps because it would conflict with the octave line.)

Yes. I have the 15 octave line already for that G on the bottom staff in the treble clef but it won’t seem to work.

Likely because the “interstaff” note is already under the octave sign in the top staff.