Notation

Sorry I don’t understand.

Since the bottom-staff G has presumably been “flipped” from the top staff, it is still (in Dorico’s mind) a top staff note and subject to the octave sign/“clef” there.

(Dorico considers an 8v sign as a clef.)

So how do I fix it?

It may not be possible. But give it a while and perhaps one of our Dorico luminaries will think of something I have not.

Could you post a Dorico file of just that measure to give them something to work with?

1 Like

Octave lines belong to staves rather than notes. Make sure you input a 15va octave line on the lower staff by double-clicking to show the caret, and inputting the octave line.

Alternatively, input a 15va octave line that belongs to this voice, and then it will still apply when the note is crossed to the other staff.

1 Like

The closest I can get to that is this but I don’t want it to be like that.

Nevermind I figured it out!!! Thank you.

Well, I have tried two ways, using the 23:3 tuplet in Example—1 whereas in Example—2 it was very easy to just enter grace notes before barline!

p:s. I missed some notes in Example—2 :wink:

Untitled Project 1.dorico (596.2 KB)

But still couldn’t enter those octave lines… :frowning:

I was able to get the 15ma for one note on the lower staff this way:

• Duplicate that note to the bottom staff (copies the tuplet which you can delete later)
  • With the one note selected, add the treble clef, and then add the 15
  • Cross-staff the real note so it “overlaps” with the temporary note
  • Delete the temporary note, and then you can delete the extra tuplet because the 15ma line keeps its rhythmic position independent of tuplets

There is no need to use any temporary note… ( see Lillie’s post above)

Of course you can always enter things with the caret. But I thought my method is easier in this case because you can just reuse the existing tuplet for the rhythmic placement.

this is one of those cases where it would be nice to be able to enter a punctual single “double stem”. That single left hand note could simply be double stemmed, kept at the top of the passage without having to resort to cross-staff notation, and a small “m.s” expression above it to indicate it’s to be played by the left hand. The extra single stem would make it clear that it is one single note that is to be taken by the left hand.

I’d mock up a quicky example of the notation in Finale, but sadly am in a rush right now.