Note and rest INPUT

How to input notes and rests in Dorico as I want ???

Let me explain.
When I type 1/4 rest and then 1/8 rest Dorico automatically changes my two “rests” into one rest - quarter&dot.
What needs to be done in settings or configuration to stop Dorico of changing automatically ?
Whatever I type I want this to be in this particular way. I don’t want Dorico to change anything.

I tried searching the forum and googled but no luck.

Thank you

Have you tried “Force Duration” (The C-clamp icon or “O” letter key) before entering the rests?

What you need is called “Force Duration”. You must select it before you input notes or rests on the left panel with the clamp icon or the shortcut O.

Thomas

Dorico will intelligently decide how to notate the notes and rests you enter based on their duration, the prevailing time signature, and a range of detailed options you can set in the Notation Options dialogue: Edit > Notation Options. It sounds like you will want to set these up to suit your preferred conventions.

Short-cut answer: you can override Dorico’s defaults and force the duration of any notes or rests to be what you want. Forcing the duration of notes/rests
But if you do this a lot, it will get laborious – and deprive you of many of Dorico’s smartest features.

thank you for your quick and what is more important helpful reply

problem is resolved - “forced duration”
you can compare bar #2 with bar #4
first one is fixed the way I wanted and for me looks much better…
https://photos.app.goo.gl/k54PyByoHskY9UWP8

I don’t know how intelligent dorico is but it would be nice to have an option or input mode “as is” meaning that whatever I type I have without auto changes…

I think that’s what ‘force duration’ is?

That is indeed what force durations is…but (from my own early experience with Dorico) it is much better to find the settings that you want and use force durations as little as possible.

Took me a while to figure this out, as well - I sort of used Forced Duration all the time. Now, I make sure I have the settings the way I want them - as described earlier in the thread, and rarely use the FD. One way this is really helpful is that when you move a figure, Dorico will re-notate the thrythms according to what the rhythmic rules are for whatever beat you have moved to. For instance - and this happened a lot with Sibelius - if I have a half note tied over a barline to a quarter in 4/4, all is fine. If I move/paste it to, say beat 2 of a bar, it will re-notate it as a quarter tied to a half, which is correct; Sibelius would give me what I had entered, a half tied to a quarter, even though it is not sound notation practice. Dorico won’t get it right all the time, but it does to a pretty good job of observing the rules/traditions.

I usually use the left arrow to move along to where the next note is, then input it, leaving Dorico to set the rests, so I seldom enter a rest, preferring Dorico to make the most appropriate choice from the (Write) Notation options>Rests.
Sometimes Dorico will put in the “wrong” rest, but it then corrects itself once you have input the next subsequent note. It becomes quite fast because all I do is think of the notes and arrow to where they are positioned in the measure.
In Write mode, bottom far left is the input grid where you set the resolution of how far the arrow will move the input cursor along in the beats.
If I need to override the default rests, then I use Forced duration, but I seldom need to do this.

1 Like

This might be useful for people who rely on the bottom left rhythm input grid: I’ve made my own keyboard shortcuts under Preferences so that 1 makes smaller rhythmic values (increases the resolution), and 2 makes bigger note values. This works for me, since I rarely use 64th or 128th notes, and it’s very fast.

And for the sake of completeness: you can move the caret by the currently selected duration for note input by pressing spacebar. That’s what I do most of the time.

Really smart idea! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Stephen! I created the same keyboard shortcuts and they really improve the workflow.