note editor in cubase 8???,

hi there
i have the 5 version of cubase and it’s still a pain in the butt when it comes to write the music from a midi score .
so i was wondering if the 8th version has made any improvements for that , and if now it’s easy to go from the midi score to the note score , so that i’m not forced to write the whole score in finale , which double my job (making the score in cubase and writing it in finale )

thanks y’all

I would say that, if you don’t like the Score Editor in Cubase 5, then you won’t like it any better in any later version :wink:… Quite a lot of new functions have of course been added, but the basic method of working with the Score Editor hasn’t changed and probably never will (unless/until the upcoming standalone application, Dorico, finds its way into Cubase).
However, I don’t understand what you mean by “if now it’s easy to go from the midi score to the note score” (unless you mean, having created some MIDI, most likely by realtime playing, so note positions and note lengths aren’t really precise as regards representation in the Score, and then editing either the source MIDI or the Score display, in order to make it so, then, Cubase is probably the best one out there, already :wink:. )

ok
thanks for the reply , and you’re right when you say that when you make music with midi notes , the length and others things are not precise , so in the score editor it’s just impossible to write anything right…

i think i’ll have to stick with the old method : write the song in finale and then rewrite it in cubase or nuendo (maybe in nuendo it can be better ) so that everyone can hear it.

hope somedays i will find the perfect music software (i doubt it though)

thanks dude

But before “giving up” on it, do try to take the time to learn about “Display Quantize” and the Display Quantize Tool… that is exactly what they are there for :wink:.

believe me i tried so hard to do that , spent hours , and in the end nothing , just a bunch of notes that i can’t edit and modify , so i decided to write the whole symphony on finale , which is soooo frustrating.

there is only one tutorial on youtube for that Scoring Basics in Cubase | Tutorial - YouTube
it’s a good tutorial to make your bones but it’s not enough and in the end nobody gives a sh for writing a score .
i think the real problem here is that we are in a world where the music doesn’t count , composers make music without any knowledge in music , the only thing they know is typing on a computer , they don’t even know what’s a eight note or any other notation like harmony or conterpoint (i personnaly met some composers that didn’t play the piano at all , they only knew how to type on a keyboard …)

so of course nobody cares about any notation and steinberg won’t make any improvements for that .

I think you didn’t try enough.

Finale and Sibelius are not the best tools for composers in my opinion, but mainly intended for engravers.

If you’re a composer, for me there is no better tool than Cubase.

Like you, I write for orchestra and Cubase and its Score Editor are invaluable in this matter.

Your problem, if I understand correctly, is that you play your music “naturally” on your MIDI keyboard and then try to edit the notes to make them look good in the score. It’s probably not the best way.
This could work very well in one condition : you have to use the metronome and always play precisely on the beat and in addition use the quantize fonction, in order to have the most intelligible score to begin with. You’ll have a lot less work to do in moving and editing notes in the score.
You can then humanize the playback by tweaking the tempo and the delays etc.

The best way would be to enter notes directly in the score using one of these following methods : the mouse, your computer or MIDI keyboard.

So if you’re working for a client and under time pressure, and you really need a good looking score, your best bet would be the first method (recording your music first), but, as I said, you’ll have to play as mechanically as possible to get the best looking score to begin with and then work with Display Quantize as Vic suggested.

Hope that it helps, while waiting for Dorico integration into Cubase. :wink:

I think Finale and Sibelius are the best composition tools for people who think in terms of notation. It’s very quick to touch type a score in Finale to try out ideas, but it’s very cumbersome in Cubase. You mention Nuendo, OP, but this does not have any improvements for what you want to do.

Your problem, if I understand correctly, is that you play your music “naturally” on your MIDI keyboard and then try to edit the notes to make them look good in the score. It’s probably not the best way.
This could work very well in one condition : you have to use the metronome and always play precisely on the beat and in addition use the quantize fonction, in order to have the most intelligible score to begin with. You’ll have a lot less work to do in moving and editing notes in the score.
You can then humanize the playback by tweaking the tempo and the delays etc.

exactly , the problem is that when i enter notes in midi and when i hear the music , i want to hear it with some soul , you know ,just like a conductor wants , so in the end like you say , i end up with a lot of errors , and it’s almost impossible to correct everything.

so from all your replies i guess that i will have to stick with the method that gives me twice of efforts ; writing in finale and then make it sound in nuendo , this is very hard to do , but in the end i have the score and the sound of it .
if only i could write as fast as beethoven who wrote the 1st movement of a concerto of piano in one night (!!!)

thanks though for all your replies

Not that it should really be necessary, but, why not start by performing you piece, as you wish, in Cubase, then duplicate your MIDI tracks, Quantize the duplicate tracks (and Quantize Length) them, then work on those duplicate tracks in the Score Editor?

quantizification (don’t know if it’s the right word) might be very difficult sometimes , but i’ll try that
thanks