note expression / expressions maps

hi guys

i’ve gone through the video tutorial that shipped with the C.D., some video tutorials on youtube and read through the relevant help documentation in the operation manual…

however, i’m still unable to get custom expressions to work…

1. i created an instrument track
  2. i set up an expression map called ‘cello’ with the following sound slots:
  • legato
  • staccato
  • up bow
  • down bow
  1. i set up remote keys from A-1 to C#0 (i dont want to have to press a key to bring out these expressions but i just tried it to see if it works. I actually want to be able to ‘write’ it in like you can do with the volume for example)
  2. i set the output mapping to program 1
  3. save the settings

i then go back to the main window, record some midi and try to apply the staccato (for example) by pressing the corresponding key but nothing happens…

it also doesnt seem to appear in my list of note expressions by CC1 modulation, CC2 breath etc etc.

could someone please tell me in the form of an ‘idiot’s guide’ how to get my desired result? (not by pressing a key, but actually by just writing in the note expression)

many thanks!!!

First thing… “Note Expression” is not the same thing as “VST Expression” :wink:
2nd thing…
Having created your VST Expression Map, have you actually loaded the Map into your Instrument track (in the VST Expression module of the track’s Inspector)?

Expression maps are confusing esp at first, the manual is little help too - it takes a while until you get to understand the difference between sound slots and articulations and how everything is put together

I still don’t understand the need for them being so complex

But…

you may wish to check out my expression maps here

http://www.rivetedstudios.com/downloads/cat_view/34-cubase-files/72-cubase-expression-maps/88-steinberg.html

For HSO.
Sometimes the best way to learn is to copy something that works, tweak it and see what happens
Zero

You’re getting two things confused, as Vic pointed out. The tab you need to get to is the Expression Map tab, not the Note Expression tab. The other thing we need to know is which VSTi are you using and how do you want to go about changing patches/articulations (i.e. via Program Changes, MIDI Channels, Keyswitches)? That will help us give you a more descriptive answer of what you need to do to achieve the results you want.

Expression Maps are only complicated because even the manual is not very helpful on its potential, and the available videos online are not very detailed either. But they are very simple to build once you get how they work (which I’m still not 100% myself to be honest).

thanks guys

vic, i think if i get what you mean then where it says under expression map: no map, cello, expression map setup… i have ‘cello’ with a tick next to it

thanks zero, ill check those out!

jose, i was under the impression that one could set up an expression such as vibrato in the expression map and then apply that to midi data whenever one wants it to have an effect
have i got my wires crossed?
i dont want to have to press a key when a i want a note to have vibrato applied. Instead i would like to draw it in (much like the dynamics tutorial…)

sorry im not particularly techinical…hope this clears it up a bit

thanks again guys

I know what you want, but without the answers to the questions I asked above it is hard to give you an exact response. You see, different VSTi synths have different and even multiple ways of changing from one articulation to the next. Some use keyswitches AND/or have articulations as separate patches which could be switch using MIDI channel data. Others use bank changes, etc. You also have the choice of how you want to be able to change from one articulation to the next. So we need to know how your particular VSTi synth works. Simply creating sound slots and not specifying how the articulations will change is not gonna do anything because you still need to specify how these articulations are recalled from the synth.

The output mapping section is only so that you’re able to switch between articulations live, though you could use it to input the articulations in real-time as you record. But you can also input articulation changes in both the Key Editor and the Score Editor, just as you saw in the videos. Hope this clears up why I’m asking these questions.

im using HALion sonic SE

Then you should totally check out the expression maps ZeroZero created in his link above. He has some for Halion SE as well. They should provide more knowledge about how to use expression maps than I could typing here. I’m sure he specifies which patches to use them with, since the maps are only half the story (you need the corresponding patch for it to work as expected).

If you still have questions after you’ve checked them out, then feel free to ask.

thanks Jose!
am looking into them now…

IIRC, all the programs in HSSE that use articulations, already have expression maps. You just need to “import keyswitches”. I think Zero’s maps are for HSO, which the OP may not be using.
HTH
J.L.

No, they are indeed for the (trial) version of HALion Sonic Orchestra (yes, that’s more or less the same library as HALion Symphonic Orchestra itself, but running in HALion Sonic (SE).
But, you are correct in saying that VST Expression Maps can be loaded automatically, via the function “Import Keyswitches” (btw, ZeroZero’s maps use some different keys).

Just for clarity my maps are for Halion Symphonic Orchestra SE which is the VST3 version which has a free trial on the cubase 6 disks. The are not for other Halion Sonic instruments bur are used IN the Halion Sonic SE which is bundled with c6
I tip my hat to a fellow poster here for helping getting them up and running

Sorry for the misnomer. What Vic says is actually what I meant. That the maps for for HSO VST Sound Set. I got lazy in my terminology. My bad…
:slight_smile:
J.L.