Note grouping confusion

I’m confused by a certain note grouping behavior in Dorico. If I select a half note and try to turn it into a whole note, it turns into two tied half notes. (See first attachment). Despite the fact that I have the “Notes starting at the start of the bar… of multiple beats in duration” pref set to “Notate a single note”.

If I use Edit->Reset Appearance then the note turns into a whole note as I would expect. Is there a way to avoid this unwanted subdivision in the first place?

Thanks for any help!

Mike
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 1.15.59 PM.png

Mike,

You have no time signature in your example, do you?

What happens if you repeat the process having explicitly indicated, say, 4/4 - and so told Dorico where to put bar lines?

Hi Mark,

The lack of time signature is just an artifact of being in galley view. In the score itself there’s always a time signature.

Mike,

And what is that Time Signature? If I set it to 4/4, I do not get the two tied half notes/minims.

As I do if I set the Time Signature to, say, 2/4.

IOW I wonder if you’re actually seeing the expected behaviour for Dorico for the given metre?

Is there any chance that when you initially entered the minim/half you had Force Durations turned on? If so, that would explain it.

Yes, that’s possible. I didn’t know that this status would linger.

The clue is Edit > Reset Appearance working, incidentally. The fact that by default Dorico would like to group these notes as a single semibreve/whole note indicates that you must have done something to manually override Dorico’s rules in the first place.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation. Thanks!