Note input and measure selection

1. Is there a way (shortcut) of entering “Note Input” without double clicking?

2. When I select “,” for rest, how do I enter the rest so that I can see it.?

3. In 4/4 time I have a whole note in measure 1 and 2 tied. How do select measure or note 2 without selecting measure or note 1. I click the whole note in measure 2 and it select both notes in measures 1 and 2.
    For that matter, is there a way of selecting the measure without selecting the note?

Never mind about # 1.

1. If you are in Write mode, you select a note or a rest, Enter or shift+N is the other way to enter step-input mode.
  2. If you select rest input (’), select the rythmic value you want, and press any key from A to G, Dorico will not input a note but the rest you want. Anyway, moving the caret (left and right arrow) and inputting only notes is the best way to input rests in Dorico :wink:
  3. As for now, if you need to work on a section of a tied note, use the scissors on the tied note (U — removes tie), do what you need to do and then tie again !
    [edit] In Engrave mode, you can select the whole tied note and then De-select each object selected that you do not want in orange using Ctrl/Cmd-click (PC/Mac)

Hope it helps !

Whilst in Input, you can select the note the (shift)-control-right arrow to get to the note to begin selection. The display doesn’t change but you can now for example enter a metric change.

or Cmd-Arrow to go to the next bar.

In 3/4 time, in the first measure, I select a 1/16 note then a rest (,) and select a - g note. I see a 1/4 rest in orange, not a 1/16 rest. I only see the 1/16 rest after I input the next note. Very confusing. It would make more sense, if I select a note value then select rest, the rest value would appear and move the carrot to the next position.

Try the other way around, moving the caret and letting the software fill the blanks with rests :wink: I got used to that way of thinking in like… five minutes !
Anyway, if you really need to see the rythmic value you are imposing (a rest sounds like a rest, whatever value, if nothing stops it i.e. there is no note after it) try using Force duration (o) before inputting rests. It could give you the result you want.
Hope it helps !

I tried moving the caret but the rest value didn’t change. I’ll try force duration, althoughi In my experience, when I enter something, I’d like to see it. I think this process if very counter intuitive. I think I’ll post something about that.

Thanks for your help.

I tried the example you give, adding a 16th note rest. Actually, the caret moves forward in the bar of the value of a 16th note, so if you input a note there, the 16th rest you wanted appears, but you are right, it is still a 4th note rest that stays in orange, with a caret advanced a 1/4 of the way. The philosophy here is that a rest is not actually a sound, and it is sound you write. Rests appear though, using Force duration. I find that not having to input rests saves a lot of time, when copying music, though. I hope you’ll get the same feeling once you get used to it !

True, a rest isn’t a sound, but what if you put the 1/16 rest in, then you get distracted for a moment. You look back at the screen and you can’t remember whether you put the rest in or not (it’s not that obvious). That’s why I like seeing things I input.

I understand your point of you. Anyway, if you make a mistake, it is SOOOOO easy to undo, move the caret where you want and input next note… don’t you think ? :wink:
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of XeLaTeX, but it took me some hours to realize my “logic” was absolutely corrupted by Word-type software. And I do not doubt that the logic that lies within Dorico will strike you as it did to me.

Hope so. Thanks

Golden rule number one of note input in Dorico: input notes according to their total duration, not according to exactly how they appear in the music, so you can let Dorico decide how to notate them according to their position in the bar and the prevailing meter.

Golden rule number two of note input in Dorico: don’t input rests. Just move the caret to where the next note begins, and input the note. Trust Dorico to create appropriate rests for you.

Once you let go of your old ways a little and accept these methods, you will find input in Dorico considerably faster and more efficient than in other scoring software.

Doesn’t the rhythmic grid have to be set accoringly for this to work? Because I found if inputting 16th notes and the first entry in the measure is a 16th rest then a 16th note then a 16th rest etc…, if the rhythmic grid is set at 8th notes, moving the caret once them entering a 16th note gives the first entry an 8th rest.

I also feel that the measure I’m working in should be spaced wider or somehow be zoomed in in order to place the caret properly, wouldn’t you think?
B.

I see what I was doing wrong. I was advancing the caret with the arrow key. I should have use the space bar to advance the caret. Using the arrow advances the caret according to the rhythmic grid.