Note is in part but not in condensed score

The 1st bassoon part has a minim F at the start of this flow which is not present in the condensed score. It’s in voice 2, and is only there to facilitate a reverse l.v. tie to the previous flow. The voice 1 duplicate note is revealed if I experimentally move it to another staff:

With apologies in advance of my almost inevitable flurry of queries as I attempt the casting off of this mammoth score, how do I deal with this one?

I don’t think it’ll be possible to diagnose this without the project itself, sorry.

I’ve just tried sending the flow, but even that’s too big. I’ll do a cut-down version and send that soon.

Sorry, this took more time than I’d expected, because if I cut the flow vertically the problem didn’t show (e.g. condensed view showed only Bassoon 1 rather than Bassoons 1,2,3, and additionally showed the elusive minim), so in the end I cut the score horizontally, which preserves the anomaly.
Symffoni - 2nd movement, top systems only.dorico (1.8 MB)

If the bassoons are condensed in to 2 staves (1 then 2/3), is the problem still present? Seems to me condensing all 3 into one stave is asking for trouble.

I might be wrong but this looks the kind of limitation I’ve hit while condensing players that hold more than 1 instrument. In my case, I had blank staves where I shouldn’t:

In your case it looks that having a 3rd bassoonist with two instruments is giving you trouble. May that be the case?

I’ll see what happens (when I get back to the machine). Thanks, both.

Hi Gareth,

Condensing works just with one voice.

From the Dorico manual:
“Only instruments that normally have a single staff and whose music is in a single voice can be condensed, as music already in multiple voices produces ambiguous condensing results. Grand staff instruments cannot be condensed. Instruments with extra staves or ossia staves cannot be condensed in the systems where the extra staves or ossia staves exist.”

If you delete the note in the second voice, the notes from the first voice will show in the condensed staff.
You may need to use a slur insted of a l.v. tie, for your workaround.

Oh wow, I hadn’t noticed that - thanks for drawing it to my attention. The reason for the duplicate voice here is that the first note is already tied ‘forwards’, but I certainly haven’t tried using a slur. Look forward to giving it a go when I next get to my PC.

Sent: 24 January 2022 17:37
To: post@garethglyn.info
Reply to: steinberg+8d5d875d3f30dd727b85ae2ff53c0d35@discoursemail.com
Subject: [Steinberg Forums] [Dorico] Note is in part but not in condensed score

|

• |

| rafaelv
January 24 |

• | - |

Hi Gareth,

Condensing works just with one voice.

From the Dorico manual:
“Only instruments that normally have a single staff and whose music is in a single voice can be condensed, as music already in multiple voices produces ambiguous condensing results. Grand staff instruments cannot be condensed. Instruments with extra staves or ossia staves cannot be condensed in the systems where the extra staves or ossia staves exist.”

If you delete the note in the second voice, the notes from the first voice will show in the condensed staff.
You may need to use a slur insted of a l.v. tie, for your workaround.

I had almost given up on this because I encountered a kind of Catch-22 - I couldn’t have two voices in the bar concerned because the note would then disappear completely in condensed mode, and I couldn’t have a reverse l.v. tie in a single voice because the note was already tied forwards. I didn’t want to take the 1st bassoon out of condensing, because the score is so large it has to have the lowest possible number of staves in a tutti. It was then I discovered the wondrous thing that is the Condensing Change. I applied it to the first half-a-dozen bars (and so taking the 1st bassoon out of condensing), and all was exactly as I wanted it to be, complete with its dashed reverse tie!
aaa
A huge thumbs up to the Dorico developers!