Note lengths changing articulation in Expression MAPS

I have a question for the HIVE

does anybody else find this a bit hit and miss. I have tried > or = and varying the note length using the excellent chart. But many times it will play back one day but NOT the next. I know its tempo related but even then it seems like it’s not working. Just to be clear I am only trying it with two sounds. Any tips ?

best

ed

Per the Dorico 3.5 Version History PDF (and I expect this info is also somewhere in Lillie’s fabulous manual, but I could easily put my finger on this because I wrote it and so I remember it!) the note lengths work on absolute real-time thresholds, not directly related to tempo:

1 Like

There’s no way you should get differences from one day to the next in the same passage. I can’t think of a situation where that has happened with absolutely no changes to the score. I assume that you’re using the note length automation exclusively and not adding in other playing techniques? Any adjustment to the tempo, however can mean different p.t’s being chosen by Dorico because of the absolute timing values described by Daniel.

You don’t say which library you’re using which might help to narrow things down.

Does absolute real-time mean they are, or they are not, affected by humanisation and/or swing settings?

yes it’s odd…I’ts bound to be a tempo issue as well as inbuilt idiocy from me. As there are potential 5 note lengths to pick from has anybody had success with it using more than two options ?

best

ed

yes, I use all five with, for instance, VSL solo strings as there are at least five – in fact more – suitable candidates. It works pretty well although of course you need to experiment and change a few things.

wow

ok so do you use “=” for every instance ?

best

e

yes – nothing else would make any sense when they’re all being used.

Yup…as i though. I will try it

best

e

To be honest, I’m not completely sure – it depends precisely when that calculation is done in the pipeline of processing operations that are performed during playback preparation.