Note Performer 3 mixer not there, no sound

I would try setting the Playback Template to Silence, fixing all the instrument names, restarting Dorico, and then setting the Playback Template to NotePerformer.

If you’re experiencing crashes, please choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file saved on your desktop to a reply here, so that we can take a look at the crash logs and see what the cause of the crash was.

The only reason that Dorico would not automatically assign sounds when you add instruments is if you have made any adjustments to the plug-in or channel assignments in Play mode. If you start making changes there, you effectively tell Dorico, “hands off, I’m taking care of the sound assignments myself”, and then Dorico won’t make any further changes when you add more instrruments. However, when you’re working with NotePerformer, you simply cannot practically work this way. You need to let Dorico do its automatic business, because you cannot practically make manual sound assignments with NotePerformer. So what you need to do is choose Play > Playback Templates, and double-click the NotePerformer entry in the list to confirm the dialog and let Dorico put things back how it thinks they should be. If you have the wrong instruments chosen because of the MIDI import, go to Setup mode, expand the card belonging to the player holding the wrong kind of instrument, and use Change Instrument to convert that instrument into the appropriate one. NotePerformer will respond to that automatically. If you still find that you’re getting the wrong sounds, then you need to make changes in NotePerformer’s interface, not in Dorico’s Play mode.

Thank you all very much for your input and help. I’m on a deadline so I cannot right now do what you ask, but I’ll make sure I get it when time allows.

I apologize if I am in the wrong part of the forum or using it wrongly. I have a related question: I am using Noteperformer 3 with Dorico 3, and cannot see the Noteperformer Mixer, although the Noteperformer playback is functional. I have installed Noteperformer as my default playback template in Edit > Preferences > Play > Playback Template. I have applied Noteperformer as Playback Template in Play > (apply) Playback Template. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Noteperformer. I need to balance the levels of instruments in my score, but the regular Dorico mixer only shows Noteperformer as a single instrument, and I cannot figure out how to invoke the Noteperformer Mixer, which supposedly happens without my intervention. Can anyone tell me what step I’ve missed? Thanks.

As has been shown earlier in this thread, you need to click on the little e-button to bring up the NotePerformer window.
If not sure, have a look at the posted picture in the reply of Vaughan Schlepp in this thread (second reply).

Check the MIDI import options you used.

A possible reason why the bassoon ended up as percussion is that the bassoon was on MIDI channel 10, and the options told Dorico to follow the General MIDI convention that channel 10 is percussion.

For the other wrongly identified instruments, the problem is that MIDI doesn’t really “identify” instruments, but there are two ways to guess: one is to look at the General MIDI patch changes (which probably don’t exist in your DP MIDI export, if you were using VST instruments in DP) and the other is to try to match the track name to an instrument name. If something ends up incorrectly as “Flute”, both guesses probably failed.

To fix this, go to Setup mode, open the player card, and click the arrow next to the instrument, and do “change instrument”. Just editing the player name or the instrument name doesn’t change what Dorico things the “real” instrument is.

Thank you, Ulf. My problem actually was that the Noteperformer Window always launches behind the Dorico window, which I tend to run full screen. I don’t know if this is unique to my PC configuration, but I only accidentally discovered the missing NotePerformer window when I moved Dorico to my secondary display temporarily.

I have a somewhat related problem that I’m hoping someone might help me with.

I started a project with a string section, a tenor, some woodwinds and some percussion, maxing out 1 instance of Note Performer. As I added instruments to the score, they were assigned to a second instance of NotePerformer but for some reason that instance will not produce sound. The levels on the second mixer move at appropriate times, but I’m not hearing the instruments assigned to that instance.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Try reapplying the NP Playback Template in the Play menu.

And welcome to the forum, @Maxim_Moston .

Problem solved!

Thanks so much for the quick reply, the clear advice and the welcome.