Note spacing

I write mostly drum set stuff, and as I am about to decide to buy the crossgrade (although Dorico isn’t ready for me yet) I’m wondering if this example written with Sibelius would look more elegant in Dorico.

Yes I want to keep four bars per system, if possible, for educational reasons.
z pour example_0006.png

AFAIK proper support for percussion notation is planned for the next-but-one release (NOT in the Version 1.1 release “before the end of June”).

I don’t think you will be able to do this in a practical way before then.

Here’s how Dorico spaces it. Except that the staff size has been reduced to better accomodate 4 bars per line, and the beaming set to break on beats, it’s all default placement. Note that you cannot use the percussion clef as that will currently force all notes to the middle staff line. You can use an invisible clef though, and, paste the percussion clef as music text.
DorDrSet.png

If you use Dorico enough, you soon “forget” how horrible things used to look in your previous notation software :sunglasses:

OK, I just learned that you can work round most of the percussion notation limitations (I hardly ever use it, except in occasional orchestra scores), but percussion playback doesn’t work at all, if that matters to you.

Yes I know, Rob, but thanks anyway!

Thanks for taking the time to rewrite it, to show me. It looks better by the way. I think I could also make it look better in Sibelius with smaller sizes, andI’ll try again.

I think I will buy Dorico anyway, before the deadline.

Given the learning curve for Dorico’s distinct modus operandi, I am a great believer in buying Dorico early (if one can afford to) and learning to use it (as each upgrade is released) while one continues to use one’s current notation software until one can justify switching over “completely.”

I’m really excited about version 1.1 as it solves most of my ongoing problems - except drum notation.
Can you tell me how to paste in a percussion clef as music text?
I’ve published several string pieces in Dorico, and if this workaround is easier than my current way of notating drums in Dorico, I think I can finally make the jump completely to Dorico.

To use text for a Perc Clef:

• Use the Invisible Clef in the Uncommon Clef section.
  • Use SHIFT-X to call up the Text Tool.
  • Insert the Perc Clef character (I had to search for it in Windows’s Character Map; there are probably easier ways.)
  • Highlight the character and set the font size to 18 points.
  • In Engrave mode, drag the clef into position. You will have to make further spacing adjustments where a time signature appears at the start of a line.

Hope this helps.
percClef.png

If one needs this a lot, it’s worth “hacking” the percussion clef definition in the scorelibrary.xml file … (which will work for new projects)

Would that have something to do with making it “pitched” ?

“true” :slight_smile: ( + adjust the other relevant parameters according to whether you want to mimic a treble or bass clef)

Is there a way to make this work in an existing (quite large :neutral_face:) project?

If you redefine one of the percussion clefs in scorelibrary.xml, it ought to work for all your projects. I think it will put notes previously entered on different pitches on different lines/spaces, but I am not sure.

I made it work not by altering the existing percussion clef, but by adding a new percussion clef with changed properties.