noteperformer 3.2 and dorico

the update 3.2 update to noteperformer says that dorico has playback for gliss and artificial string harmonics built in.
I am not getting this. is this true and if so how do I accomplish this?

No, I don’t believe it does say that, at least I would be very surprised: I believe NotePerformer requires Dorico to actually play the notes of the glissando in order to trigger some special glissando behaviour in the player itself, but Dorico does not yet play either glissandos or string harmonics.

got this from page 52 of the noteperformer 3.2 guide: articilations in dorico.
under glissando " no mapping. available in dorico." same for artificial harmonics.
I didn’t see where to write to them.

Unless I’m mistaken harmonics is one of the “zero time” articulations in Dorico, which don’t work as they should to in the current Dorico release because they’re turned off right after they’re triggered, before the note even starts. So NotePerformer would play them if only they were triggered properly. Without speaking for Daniel, this issue is supposedly going to be fixed in a future Dorico update and are on the priority list.

Some of these articulations used to work in the previous NotePerformer release, but only because we used a dirty workaround where these articulations simply couldn’t be turned off (with adding a redundant “ord.”). But that workaround wasn’t compatible with having a multi-articulation expression map, and we’ve also been told not to workaround the issue because it’s relatively soon going to be fixed. :slight_smile: Please correct me if I’m wrong on this, Daniel.

…and also, NotePerformer relies on the notation software executing the glissando by the use of MIDI Pitch Bend. In which case NotePerformer executes it in a manner which adapts the timbre correctly, for any range (no “Mickey Mouse” effect). So when Dorico adds this, NotePerformer will happily follow it… :slight_smile:

It’s technically impossible to do glissando as a plain technique or key switch, because the VST instrument doesn’t know what the pitch of the ending note of the glissando is, until it’s too late. Unless the notes involved are very short. So only the notation software knows all notes involved in a glissando at the time of execution, which makes this an ideal candidate for being rendered by the notation software rather than the VST.

Many thanks for the update Arne - appreciated as always.

re: Trills. You say “No Mapping available in Dorico” but I’m so far I can’t find any problems with trills in NP and Dorico. I’ve used the popover for various intervals and they’ve all played as expected. What’s still missing?

The trill feature was just added to Dorico. :slight_smile: We’re going to update the docs with this info in due time.

I have a somewhat similar question regarding acticulations in Dorico 2.2 and NP 3.2:
Page 52 shows tremolo in the list of available articulations in NP 3.2 – does that mean I can use my own symbol to mean “tremolo with three slashes” and have it played back that way? (see attachment) Cause that’s what I’d like to do… :wink:

Thanks as always for any input!

Daniel
tremolo.jpg

NotePerformer performs a tremolo whenever it encounters a rapid series of notes. So from NP’s perspective, tremolo slashes can be notated in any fashion where many short repeated notes are produced. Such as notating a tremolo explicitly, with a series of notes, rather than using slashes.

I can’t say if you’re able to map your own graphical symbol to tremolo in Dorico. That’s unfortunately beyond my competence.

Thank you for your feedback, Arne!
So I’ll try to find a solution Dorico-internally. :wink: