NotePerformer 4 Released

fratveno’s sample is exactly the effect I’m getting on my strings.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming!

No, CC110 is used as an offset. CC11 is the message used by NP to control dynamics “in realtime”. If you have a CC11 used as an offset/booster in a part (to be used for other libraries), it is privileged compared to NP, and dynamics are scrambled.

Paolo

1 Like

If there were any need for more examples:

9 Likes

Ah answered my second point in earlier post anyway. In the Note Performer 4 mixer near the bottom of the overides drop down combo box there is an item to delete a redundant mixer slot. Great :grin: Maybe this was always there in NP 3 and I never noticed it.

I just realized that the regular NP4 mixers will have one stereo return signal per mixer instance, but NPPE will only return one regardless of the number of instruments. Obviously then if I have 32 instruments, I’ll see two active faders in the Dorico mixer when using NP4, but if all 32 are using NPPE instruments then I’ll only see one active. Naturally that one will require different level settings than when the signal is split over two, or else the one NPPE signal will distort. If the user leaves everything in the mixer alone and is using more than 16 NPPE instruments, then NPPE will always sound louder than NP4, right?

From a user standpoint, I think this means that if I move from my laptop, which doesn’t have BBCSO Pro, to my desktop which does, then I’ll almost certainly need to adjust my Dorico mixer levels if I’m using more than 16 instruments, otherwise the fader on channel 1 that receives the NPPE signal will sound much louder than it did on my laptop.

If using a mix of NP4 and NPPE instruments obviously there can be more than one active fader in Dorico’s mixer. Are all the NPPE instruments routed to the first channel 1 fader, even if they are represented in the second or third instance of NP’s mixer? I think they are, but wasn’t quite sure about that.

The routing has no impact on the volume as long as all sliders have the same volume.

NPPE is always routed to the first NotePerformer instance. However, the first NotePerformer instance has sixteen stereo outputs to which you can route the NPPE instrument. This is done from the “Advanced” slot menu in NPPE.

Please note that the reverb is always on the first stereo output, even from NPPE, since it’s a send effect on that output. If you don’t want reverb you can turn if off globally in NPPE from the settings menu in the footer.

Well, if that sound production represents the limitations of NP4 and an aftermarket product, I’ll take that any day. I think that is of splendid quality!

1 Like

Arne @Wallander has created a miracle. I mean, this is EXACTLY the kind of high-end library implementation I have dreamed of. I knew NP4 would be a leap ahead, but I HAD NO IDEA it would be this. Absolutely transformative, across the board.

11 Likes

I was curious to hear how NPPE would sound in a chamber-music setting. So, I’ve just written a canon for three violins and a cello. I’m using BBCSO Pro via Dorico. I’ve set the mics to Close - Tree - Ambient and adjusted the mic balance to be quite close as I was going for a more intimate feeling. I’ve turned off reverb, thinking that BBCSO has its own natural reverb.

Thoughts?

Unless I’m completely misunderstanding what is happening, wouldn’t it have an impact when using more than 16 NPPE instruments? Here’s a really dumb 3-bar Dorico test file with 22 instruments. 21 of them are contained in the BBCSO Pro playback engine but the Piano is not, as it’s not in that library. Dorico’s levels are flat and there’s no added reverb or compression in Dorico.
NP test.dorico (845.6 KB)

When I play the file back using the BBCSO Pro NP playback engine, there are 2 faders active in Dorico’s mixer, Flute 1 and Violin 1. Those of course correspond to the two channel 1 instruments in each instance of the NP mixer. The Violin 1 fader isn’t really a Violin 1 fader, it’s just the signal from the instruments loaded into the second instance of NP. (It would be nice if Dorico would let us relabel these in the mixer.) Except now with NPPE, all of the NPPE instruments using the BBCSO Pro sounds are routed to the Flute 1 fader, including those in the second instance of the NP mixer. If I solo the “Violin 1” fader, all I hear is the Piano, as that’s the only non-NPPE sound loaded in the second NP instance so is using a NP4 sound.

If I’m understanding this correctly, the consequence of this is that the “Flute 1” fader is now controlling the output from 21 instruments when I use NPPE, but only the regular 16 instruments from the first instance of the NP mixer when I use NP4 without NPPE. The “Violin 1” fader is controlling only the Piano (which is using NP4) when NPPE is active, but controls all 6 of the instruments in the second instance of the NP mixer when not using NPPE.

Naturally the output from 21 instruments is going to be louder than the output from 16 instruments, and that’s exactly what I see when I solo the “Flute 1” channel in my test file.

If I’m correct with the above, then any time I use NPPE with more than 16 NPPE instruments the levels will be higher than with NP4, and the first channel 1 fader will likely need to be lowered.

If I use fewer than 16 instruments, then that first channel 1 fader isn’t overloaded. Cutting that Dorico file down to the first 14 instruments, I get this where the NPPE file might be a little bit louder, but generally things are balanced ok:

It’s only then when using more than 16 NPPE instruments and switching between NP4 and NPPE that the user needs to be aware of the potential for that first channel 1 to be clipped.

BBC SO Pro only has first chairs. It’s not designed for actual chamber music of the kind I suspect you want – from Spitfire there’s Sacconi for a string quartet or even arguably the Spitfire Solo strings. The BBC SO strength is full orchestra with instruments highlighted within the orchestra for the odd solo if you like. This doesn’t really convince me but others may prefer it.

1 Like

What is going on here? Are the 1/2 section cellos from HOOPUS being used, or is it all just full cellos?

That’s helpful. I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

Individual channels don’t clip in VST hosts because it’s floating-point audio. 21 instruments is as loud as 16+5 same-volume instruments when combined on the master. Clipping becomes relevant when you bounce to disk, though.

That said, it might be better to control NotePerformer’s volumes from the NP mixer. It’s an individual-instrument control and it’s preserved even as you change the output port.

Alternatively, if you want to permanently rebalance the NPPE, there’s a gain controller in the EQ for the slot.

2 Likes

It seems like it’s only even an issue then when switching back an forth between NP4 and NPPE while using more than 16 NPPE instruments and needing to bounce a wav file. I was going simply load NPPE with BBCSO Pro and post the audio using the file in the other NPPE comparison thread, but then was confused by the distortion I heard in the bounced file. I think I have an understanding of how this works and how to address it now, thanks!

It think that’s partly due to imbalances in the NPPE engine. I’m working on it.

5 Likes

The entry of the first cello and the first two violins sounds balanced, but later the sound stage sounds a bit off, and sometimes individual notes jump out as if they are right near the ear. Where I assume it’s to highlight an instrument, it seems as if the player has moved towards or right onto the mic. That’s what i noticed the most.

I see what you mean. Hmm.

I’m not seeing how to do this.