NotePerformer 4 Released

It’s not incompatible but since NPPE is a multitimbral plugin and doesn’t automatically output the instruments to different stereo busses, it may take some work and not work per-instrument.

All the libraries we support have reverb and mixing through microphones/natural spaces. The starting point is what can be done in NPPE. The next step would be having a few different reverb configurations on different stereo busses of the first NP instance, and route NPPE to your choice of reverb.

Ok! Thank you for this info. And btw, NP4 is just amazing. Brilliant update!

4 Likes

Jag ska gissa att det här inte precis är en traditionell svensk fras.

Maybe Dorico slows down the execution of the trill to the point where it’s performed “measured”, by the legato patch.

Maybe it’s resolved by changing the trill speed:

If not, I’m happy to look at the .dorico file.

I might be wrong, but I think “under the hood” means the inner workings of something, which is what I meant.

You’re absolutely correct, and your command of the English language is shockingly great.

3 Likes

I thought car jokes were forbidden on this forum, still…
“under huven” literally means under the bonnet :slight_smile: (hood)

1 Like

I don’t want to undermine myself, but “under the hood” has a Swedish equivalent, and I get extra help from Grammarly.

3 Likes

I’d already done a few experiments with trill speed etc and also experimenting with changing the rit speed but the pattern remains largely the same. This very basic project replicates exactly one example with a clarinet in CSS. The same thing with the violin was even worse. Interestingly the trill performed with native NotePerformer does not slow down.

NPPE trill test.dorico (492.8 KB)

1 Like

Does scrub playback (new feature in D5) work when playback template is NP?

It appears to be greyed out when NP4 is loaded. I have NPPE loaded, I’ll unload it and see if there is any difference. Tried it with just NP4, still greyed out.

It appears to be greyed out when NP4 is loaded. I have NPPE loaded, I’ll unload it and see if there is any difference. Tried it with just NP4, still greyed out.

It works for me. NP4, Dorico 5, Mac M2.

Thanks @Kim_Winfield for your test. Pity, it looks to be a very nice feature but I don’t see it workable to switch from the NP template to the HSSE template just for some “scrubbing”.

Interesting @tbabcock123 that it does work for you. Maybe you and Kim have a different setting somewhere.

The scrub button ‘appears’ greyed out but when clicked it turns green and scrubbing works. I did have a problem with NP4 early on where the NotePerformer Playback engine wouldn’t work (with either 4.3 or 5.0 once 5 had been installed). I re-downloaded and reinstalled NP4 and that fixed that particular problem. Perhaps re-installing NP4 will resolve your scrubbing issue.

Good to know, thanks @tbabcock123

Projects that I didn’t use NotePerformer 4 with NPPE seem to open just fine for me, I tested by closing the project and closing NPPE, then reopening the project.

Specifically have a patch where the note gets to full volume quickly, instead of ramping up slowly.

Having played in an orchestral violin section, I know that isolated longer notes often have a dynamic shape to them. But also it’s possible (and often desirable) to have notes that come in at final volume and maintain fairly constant dynamic. It’s impossible to get this with samples that have a large swell baked in.

When these samples are then used by NP to stitch together a legato line, you have issues such as weird artefacts depending on tempo / rate of notes. Issues like note duration greatly affecting perceived dynamic.

When a string player plays 2 slurred notes on one bow, they don’t alter bow pressure or speed between the notes. So there is no change in dynamic between the end of the first note and the start of the second. No pulsing. If all the envelopes of all your samples are basically ramps, you can’t make smooth legato passages out of them.

It’s true that some patches in some libraries have a significant swell built in. I’m not sure if this is supposed to relate to my post on trills? – if so, I don’t see the connection. Certainly there is no swell when performing the trill natively without NPPE (as anyone with the library can easily test)