NotePerformer 4 Released

Just curious… if you copy those bars into a new flow, does it behave identically…? it’s the same issue I commented on earlier in this thread…

EDIT> tried your example and it behaved properly… (actually better in NPPE … )

as a general rule, NPPE timing is better with BBC Core than the same library used natively in Dorico without correction but it has its own oddities, often in places you wouldn’t really expect them like the above example. You could understand errors in mixed value passages where long notes, esp legato, mixed with shorter ones as they have different latencies but this sort of area is often handled quite well. I’m sure Arne is by now aware of some of these oddities – I’ve found some similar things with Cinematic Studio so it’s not just library-specific (though I imagine in a library like Prime where there is little latency, there should be fewer problems)

I noticed the same issue with Prime this morning. A series of eighth note tied to half on the & of 2 sounds a sixteenth early. I mean I know horn players have a tendency to rush but c’mon :slight_smile:

interesting that it’s also in Prime. Hadn’t noticed but I don’t own that library – just briefly tried the demo out of curiosity. In that case, there may be a systemic oddity to be investigated as VSL libraries in general have very little audible latency so there would be nothing to correct.

Does the scooping still occur if you use the Synchron Prime playback template?

FYI, I believe Musio is not yet supported, due to the different engine. I am using CSSS for solo strings and pretty happy with the results, though there is quite a bit of noise in the soft samples, which might be an issue when working on a quartet NotePerformer 4 Expectations or Wishes | Page 38 | VI-CONTROL

No, it doesn’t. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post.

@winknotes interesting to read that you notice the same behaviour with another library.

@fratveno when I copy the same passage to a new flow the playback is the same.

Thanks for confirming. I had two cases where the rendering was different…

Yes, thanx, i know musio isn’t supported. I was just wondering if the articulations offered in musio are identical to those in the full Cinesamples products …

@DanMcL I tried this out

I installed John’s BBC SO core playback template and used this template.

Here again the notation:

Here the playback with that template:

Though there are oddities different from NPPE (such as the delayed Bb in bar 2 beat 1) the particular 2 eighth notes in bar 2 beat 3 which sound akward with NPPE sound “normal” here.

Here the playback of the first bars at 25% speed.

(for anyone interested here is the file:
Issue with slurred notes.dorico (640.2 KB))

1 Like

If I swap the brass out for Berlin I don’t have any issues. Timing is correct.

NP4 doesn’t seem to be responding correctly to dynamics in the new Dorico 5 when you change the maximum and minimum dynamic markings under Play>Library>Playback Options>Dynamics. I was excited to see this change in the new Dorico because I like to write between pp and ff. I could be wrong but I think previously if I wanted to hear the full range of a sample library such as BBC Pro I would have to notate between pppppp and ffffff. That’s just too many p’s and f’s for me. Unfortunately, for the moment it appears NP4 needs the settings to remain at -6 and +6 in the dynamic range settings and then, to add an additional wrinkle, NP4 will only work from a notated 5p to 5f. 6p to 6f appears to disable playback entirely.

2 Likes

In general it’s not recommended to mess with Dorico’s playback options when using NotePerformer: Arne has tuned NotePerformer to work with Dorico’s default playback options.

6 Likes

With the upgrade from Dorico 4 Pro to 5 Pro, will all the default settings (playback, templates etc.) automatically be restored?

Yes, at least they did for me.

Jesper

We have a standardized dynamic range between PPP and FFF. There’s nothing above FFF since that’s value 127 in MIDI; the highest value.

Below PPP we go to niente for all instruments.

Feel free to use any range you want. Still, I recommend our range because it’s within audible levels using speakers. The audible speaker range is much smaller than the audible headphone range. Make sure you’re not mixing levels against headphones.

I also advice against changing the curve since we’ve mapped all dynamics to the default curve in Dorico.

3 Likes

@Wallander - I wonder if the mapping listed on your website is correct for Cinestrings solo…? I cannot get senza vibrato to work… I don’t see any non vibrato patches mentioned in the docs, or on the GUI, but there are some vibrato crossfade (CC2) patches, that possibly could be hooked up to achieve non vibrato… ?

I’ll look into it, in case our mapping is wrong.

It should work both using the “non vib.” articulation or using our CC105 with a value between 1 and 10 (not zero):

Link