NotePerformer Balance

Most orchestral library sounds are at a consistent level; for example, a flute sample may be as loud as a trumpet sample. That makes sense to ensure audio quality. People use the sounds for many different applications.

NotePerfomer, however, is intended for realistic playback of scores; but it seems to me to be way out of balance. Some sounds are too loud and others are too quiet.

It would be helpful if the sounds represented a realistic orchestral balance assuming a fairly common number of players (e.g., woodwinds by threes, strings in 16-14-10-8-6, four horns, etc.).

When I playback a score with NotePerfomer, I have to make radical mixer corrections. That is a lot of trouble, and it gives the composer misleading feedback.

Is there a way to improve the default levels and balance?

Thanks, --Konrad

Once you have adjusted the mix to suit your needs, go to the VST/MIDI Rack in Play and save this endpoint (call it something like NP rebalanced). Then go to Play>Playback Template and create a new template using this Endpoint.

Now you can apply this playback template to any project (new or old) and get the mix you set up.

1 Like

It would be helpful… to you :wink:
I’m writing for wind band, no string instruments at all here. So I should need more (or different) rebalancing? :wink:

1 Like

Other than over-aggressive accents (an acknowledged glitch) I find NP remarkably well balanced.

2 Likes

Hey, @Estigy. I understand, and that’s a good point; but it seems they should be in balance to one another (for example, two horns = one trombone). If there are too many nuances, then maybe my suggestion is not realistic.

By the way, the strings are way too loud, in my opinion.

1 Like

@Derrek , Maybe it’s just me. I agree 100% about the accents.

Thanks, @Janus. I’ll work with it.

By the way, this makes me renew my request for NP to provide some sample scores. I know what the balance in Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 or Dukas “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” should sound like. :slightly_smiling_face: I guess “Scherezade” would be too much to ask. :cowboy_hat_face:

I don’t know if they are still available, but a number of scores have been posted by forum users when they were evaluating NP. Try searching the forum.

They may not be easy to find but NotePerformer does provide playback excerpts from different scores using NP4 alone and also with various NPPE engines. Included are selections from Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake, Rossini’s William Tell Overture, Elgar’s Enigma Variations, Johann Strauss’ Blue Danube Waltz, Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 7, Dvorak Symphony 9, many excerpts from movie scores by John Williams and Alan Silvestri’s Back to the Future Suite. The link is here:

Thank you, my friend. I have listened to quite a few NP demos, and most of them are excellent. If I could load the score and play it back myself, it would be instructive (whether those scores were created by NP or a user). I could enter some myself, but I am way too far behind on my own projects to do that right now. Maybe some day. :slight_smile: