!!Noteperformer!! display when loading?

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 15.28.55.png
Hello,
Running Dorico 3.5.10, this comes up in Play mode when I switched to the Noteperformer playback template. No sound, and the edit instrument button displays nothing.
I did a clean re-install of Noteperformer 3.3.1 just before taking that screenshot.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

You probably ran into a problem that I’m currently working on. NotePerformer does get blacklisted due to some still unknown issue in our plug-in manager. To verify that it is that very same issue, please do ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and attach the corresponding zip file here. Thanks.

Btw, do you happen to have also Cubase or Nuendo installed?

Is this happening for everyone? Just wondering since I rely on Note Performer and haven’t done the latest update yet…

Yes, for me

I have not had any problem with this.

No. I installed 3.3.1 when it was released (email from Wallander Instruments on 18/12/2019, downloaded on 19/12/2019). No problems with it.

Actually the version number is a bit strange. The NP windows says Version 3.3.1 at the bottom left, but in the drop down menu at the top right, “About NotePerformer” says 3.3.0.1.

The NotePerformer version history file https://www.noteperformer.com/media/NotePerformer%20-%20Version%20History.pdf says this was fixed in 3.3.1.

Fixed issue which could make Dorico 3 blacklist NotePerformer
In rare situations, Dorico 3 could accidentally blacklist NotePerformer. The problem has been resolved.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (424 KB)
Hi Ulf- as requested, here’s the .zip file.
I do not have Cubase or Nuendo on my machine.
Only other possible things that might be diagnostically relevant:
I have many other VST instruments installed on both the main HD and an external HD.
Noteperformer (both 3.3.0 and 3.3.1) loads up fine with Sibelius which is the only other program that I use with Noteperformer - I very rarely/occasionally get the “Audio: Bad Settings” error, but it worked after a restart or two.
Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Yes, looks like the same issue, NotePerformer is blacklisted with you. I don’t have a solution to the problem, yet, but maybe a workaround soon, but I need to do a little more work on it. I hope I can announce something by tomorrow afternoon, so please be patient. Thanks

I understand - thank you, Ulf!

You’re welcome. I think I have a fix for the problem, but it needs a new VSTScanner binary that I need to provide you. Please send me a mail to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’ and I’ll give you the details. Thanks

I have exactly the same Problem. Is it possible, that you provide the solution to the public, please?

Please write to the address as mentioned before and I’ll provide it to you.

here’s some possibly helpful information regarding non-working NotePerformer in Dorico 3.5 in Windows 10.
After several days of trying to get NotePerformer 3.3.2 working in Dorico 3.5.11 under Windows 10-64 Update 20H2, and having had several other strange issues with other apps that worked OK in Win 10 Update 1909, I installed a fresh Win10-64 Update 1909 on a separate drive and installed Dorico/Noteperformer there also.(In both Windows versions Dorico 3.5.11 was installed first, then NotePerformer 3.3.2)
Win10-64 Update 1909: everything works as expected
Win10-64 Update 2004 or 20H2: NotePerformer 3.3.2 doesn’t work in Dorico 3.5.11 (regardless which of the previously described solutions I tried)
After closely examining all *.xml files in “%APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine_64” I found a major difference between the two installations in the file “Vst2xPlugin Infos Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine.xml”:
While the “1909” version included specific details for NotePerformer64.dll, the 20H2 version didn’t. The node “” was completely empty. So I copied the missing lines from the “1909 xml” into the “20H2 xml” and voila: NotePerformer 3.3.2 worked in Dorico 3.5.11 also in the 20H2 Update of Windows 10-64.

Here’s the content of my working “Vst2xPlugin Infos Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine.xml”

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Despite the fact that I have no idea about the meaning of the parameters above, I think it’s worth giving my solution a try.
At least if none of the other recommended solutions were successful :wink:

Hi rotcafneila,

thank you very much for your effort of trying this out and writing it up.
But actually it is just a workaround. I once found out a very similar workaround for me, but it does not work for everybody.
So the real solution is an update to the vstscanner and pluginmanager components, where I applied a proper fix.
Until we have a new release version of Dorico, I can provide those 2 new components together with instructions of how to install.
Just send me an e-mail to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.