NotePerformer: switching between solo and ensemble sounds

Hi everyone,

for those who own NotePerformer, I was wondering - let’s say you have an line of music given to a certain instrument (e.g. violins) and in the middle it goes from having the whole section play to just a solo player (on the score).

Is it possible to change the configured sounds played by NotePerformer at that moment, from a whole violin section to just a solo violin too?

I think this is something that NP3.3 (in the pipeline) will probably provide… In the meantime, I would not waste any time on that :wink:

If you want to waste your time on it anyway, there is a solution, namely on p. 21 in this PDF:

In play mode, just before the solo passage add a MIDI CC #104 message with the value of 1, and at the end of the solo passage do the same thing but with the value of 0 (resets to default).

1 Like

I’m attempting to add a MIDI CC #104 message but cannot figure out the secret recipe. I select the note, but when I bring up CC 104

1. It appears to be already set to 1
  2. It is greyed out and there is no way to change it.

I’m a MIDI CC novice here so be gentle. I’ve attached a small sample project and screen shot.

Test Solo.dorico.zip (531 KB)

1 Like

Use the pencil tool to add a data point to the controller lane. See the documentation here.

1 Like

It took me a while to get the hang of it - it’s tricky. Well OK, at least for this old timer who started out with punch cards (green screen line editors were awesome when they first came out) :slight_smile:

The values are 0 & 1, so on a scale of 0 - 127 you have to expand the screen out a bit to get things lined up.

Given that there is a way to do it, I know it would not be high on the priority list, but if you could simply select the desired notes (which is easy) and then enter the MIDI CC value, seems like it would be easier? Yes/no?

what if creating some customized techniques indicating:

1. “a1” only enables the “1st chair”.
  2. “a2” only enables the “one desk”.
  3. “a3-16” controls the amount of people who are playing for this ensemble.

That would certainly be possible, though you’d need to also modify the NotePerformer expression map, which might be arduous given the complexity of the expression map.

NotePerformer already supports this via CC…I think 103.

Dorico does not expose an easy way to frob it though (Play mode sucks for managing controllers that aren’t expression-esque)

Hi!

I just came across the same problem. Since Dorico now has the feature of “additional” expressions I had hoped to find an easy way to add those CC 104 values: I added “NP a1”, “NP a2” and “NP a4” as additional expressions, setting their CC 104 value to 0, 2, and 3.

I added a new Playing Technique, “NP a1” and now want to select the corresponding “NP a1” expression that I had just created, but I can’t find it in the dropdown.

What am I missing, can somebody help?

I would recommend Instrument Changes to switch between solo and section strings. The CC104 instrument is simplified and doesn’t sound quite the same as the solo violin.

1 Like

Hi, Arne,
thanks for you reply.

I’m writing for wind band, so I’d like to simulate playback of 3 or 4 clarinets per player, 2 flutes, 2 saxes etc. More or less every player (everything but percussion) needs to be “aX-ified”.

Now, I could go through every player and set CC 104 manually, but having a hidden playing technique that I can place at the beginning of each staff would be a much nicer - and easily reusable - solution that could save me some headaches.

Ideally, we’d like to support a2, a3, and related techniques and have it automatically resolve to the correct MIDI CC event. This is currently out of reach.

1 Like

I’m not sure who you exactly mean when you say “we”. Are you talking about Noteperformer or about Dorico?
Because I know that NP already can do it, and I would think that Dorico, using the new “additional expressions”, should be able to do it.

I believe it’s just some shortcoming on my side, bringing them together corretly…

Estigy, Wallander created NotePerformer!

I know. That’s why I’m asking. :wink:

My question never was about NP automatically supporting a2 or a3, as this is not my use case here. (My scores never show “a3” or the like because there is only 1 “Clarinet 1” that I want to sound like being played by 3 or 4 players.)

Ok, I understand. May I ask what process you’re using? Are you editing the expression map?

I edited the Noteperformer expression map and added new “add-on” items called “NP a1”, “NP a2” and “NP a3” that set CC 104 accordingly.
But when I then want to create a playing technique and a playback technique that use these entries, I can’t find them anywhere in the dropdowns. I’m missing something obvious, I guess.

(The Dorico help for version 4 does not help here because add-on items are not being covered yet.)

If my memory serves me correctly, custom add-on techniques don’t work, but it’s reserved for selected techniques. This is why our expression map only uses add-ons for certain elements, like accents and staccato, but not, for instance, vibrato and mutes, despite being natural add-on techniques.

It could have changed recently, though. It’s better to ask someone at Steinberg.

1 Like