Noteperformer Timeout on Dorico 4.2 - Windows

According to the thread below from the AMD forum, “AMD Adrenalin Software” causes an atio6axx.dll driver crash for just about any software using OpenGL. I don’t know if it’s the same crash, but the poster says the problem is resolved by uninstalling “AMD Adrenalin Software” and installing the driver manually.

If you can’t do that, please try creating the empty text file “C:\np_use_software_rendering.txt” and let me know the results. I created that NotePerformer backdoor to test Windows fallback rendering for non-compliant graphics cards. I think I left it in for the final build. If it works, the only drawback is that NotePerformer’s mixer graphics may update less smoothly and use a little more CPU.

EDIT: I see now that a previous poster already mentioned this solution. Unfortunately, we have little influence on AMD. The bug affects several high-profile programs, including Blender, Matlab, and Minecraft, so I am confident that AMD is aware of the issue. With OpenGL, programs only make basic calls, and the graphics driver implements the actual code for drawing graphics. Consequently, the code is different for every driver. We comply with the OpenGL standard (and use only the most basic and failsafe features of OpenGL 1.1 from the 1997 standard). Still, a manufacturer occasionally releases a faulty driver, which is the case here.

EDIT2: I don’t have an AMD card to try this on, but AMD drivers come in two different editions. The “Adrenalin Edition” is optimized for games, and the “Pro Edition” is optimized for stability. It may be worth trying the “Pro” version of your driver. It can be downloaded from AMD’s website.

2 Likes