NotePerformer vs. Other VST Plugins with Dorico

I haven’t even heard of this compressor plug-in until now, in fact I was under the impression that Dorico currently doesn’t support plug-ins. It would appear I was mistaken. Unfortunately, I cannot find the option to turn the compressor off. Could anybody kindly tell me where the option is located? It would be much appreciated.

1 Like

I think the “trick” with NotePerformer is you have to use dynamics and playing techniques to give it something to interpret, otherwise it sounds pretty rough (shocker! :slight_smile:

In the mixer activate the Inserts button. Then the compressor plug-in should be displayed.

Where’s the inserts button?

The Dorico mixer, not the Noteperformer mixer, Vaughan.

Found it in the Dorico mixer (F3). Thank you for the help.

Here’s how to turn it off:

1 Like

Hello:

I have been reading a lot about Noteperformer, how it works, how it handles the articulations and techniques, how it analyzes the music, how it set the dynamic, and so on, and it looks very interesting to consider it. I have read too that many of you find that it sounds better that “the Dorico sounds”. When you say that, do you mean HSO sounds? Until I understand, HSO has sampled sounds, and NP has additive synthesis, so no sampled sounds. I would expect, HSO sounds more realistically, but maybe it is not the case.

IMO NP is much more realistic than HSO, unless you massage HSO in a DAW, but if I was going to do that I would use something other than HSO.

NotePerformer, unlike other VSTi’s, attempts to analyze and interpret your score according to the classical (romantic) tradition, which, in many situations sounds pretty realistic. Realism is a relative thing… a beautifully sampled solo flute may be perfect for a solo flute piece, but can sound way off as a principal flute in an orchestral arrangement. HSO has quite a few good samples, but as a package, it’s not uniform or consistent enough for ensemble renditions… and it lacks legato transitions. Dorico (by default) attempts to simulate that by using overlapping notes, which of course is totally useless to anyone used to more sophisticated libraries from e.g. Orchestral Tools or Spitfire… Noteperformer now has excellent legato too…

Thank you, steveparker and fratveno. Yes, I have read that about the score analysis that NP does and it is good to know that it really makes a difference.
As I said in other threads, I am just beginning with Dorico and, exactly, I have noted some weird things regarding playing of legatos with a violin. Sometimes the last note plays at a lower volume in a succession of, for example, four 8th notes. Reading the forum I could find that this problem can arise with HSO at fast tempos, but I was experimenting at only 4th=100 and could note that.

You can also get NotePerformer on a subscription basis, with the added bonus that when you’ve paid enough subscriptions you own it.

Is that subscription thing new? (Don’t remember seeing this).

• D.D.

I don’t know how new it is, but see NotePerformer 4: Artificial Intelligence-based Playback of Musical Notation

It’s new-ish, I think Arne introduced the model when it was released for Dorico (and Finale).

I wonder if it is meant to line up with Sibelius monthly subscriptions.

I love subscriptions - easy for tax.

Finally I got NP and have tested it a couple of hours. Right, I makes a big difference in interpretation. Even really simple notes sound more musically now.
I turned off the compressor, as suggested, too, to compare the results. I think one can use some amount of compression if one thinks it is needed. But, if I will use the tracks in a DAW later, I prefer to let audio in Dorico unprocessed. Just in case I export the final audio in Dorico I will see if something needs to be done.

If you want a top-shelf VST to work with no tweaking, you’ll have to wait for expression maps to get fleshed out a little more.

How long Dan, How long do we need to wait for this? I feel like we should be there by now…

LOL, you’re asking the wrong bear.