Noteperformer

Noteperformer seems to only be in beta for Dorico, and is listed as not being able to handle glissandi amongst other things. The facebook page seems inactive, and everything on the website also seems a couple of years old. Is Noteperformer good with Dorico, or can Dorico now match all the capabilities? [I am new to Dorico…]

Dorico can’t handle true glissandi yet; it’s for the Dorico development team to implement.

NotePerformer works beautifully with Dorico, though.

1 Like

You’ll find many, many users will echo Leo’s perspective. NotePerformer is a great fit for Dorico, particularly if you do more classical stuff (I’m told it’s not as strong for jazz/big band).

1 Like

Thanks. I am setting a major string quartet work by a colleague, long, about 300 pages, and it has stretches of 20 pages of mostly glissandi! Drat. So it’s a matter for Dorico not Noteperformer.

I guess it brings up the question of how one would play back such glissandi then?

Here a link talking about note performer and Dorico

Good video

1 Like

Generally anything NotePerformer can’t do, other sample libraries (which generally cost a lot more) can’t do even more.

If sampled libraries have glisses at all, they will be at one or two speeds over a handful of intervals.

I like the way you put that!

There’s actually xsample libraries who can fake a gliss. It’s not perfect but it does give an idea of the result. Xsample.de

the failure of Dorico thus far to implement gliss has ruled out any consideration of converting my Sibelius symphonies programmed in NotePerformer or writing anything new with it. The other things missing in the Dorico implementation of NP are generally less critical. Still, this has been brought up so many times that I have a sneaky feeling that we will see something new in Dorico 4 as the brass glissandi in NP with Sibelius are superb!

As for @Andro 's question about playing back a string quartet with NP, I would simply say don’t bother – the quality of the solo strings simply isn’t good enough for anything like a realistic mockup. You need to invest a bit more money for something like VSL or CSS among others where you could try to substitute gliss with portamento though of course it’s not the same. I’ve never found hacks like trying to use pitch bend have been much use but that can depend on the library.

What you could do in order to get a lot closer to realistic glissando playback is invoke a Tonality System with (extreme example) 1200 EDO, with the accidentals’ pitch delta at 100, 200 steps instead of 1, 2. The glissandi will still technically be a stepwise approximation, but the steps can be near-imperceptably small.

3 Likes

This sounds great, but I don’t get it to work at the moment. Could you explain this a little more in detail? I somehow wonder, why this isn’t done automatically this way, it sounds really obvious… and fast, wide glissandi sometimes don’t sound so bad, actually.

The reason glissandi are not yet handled automatically is that there are multiple forms of glissandi: harp glissandi (that skip notes), keyboard-style glissandi (that slide along scale tones) and string-type glissandi/portamenti that slide seamlessly from beginning to ending pitch. The ideal, and I suspect the ultimately planned, glissando tool will be able to distinguish which form to attach to a given instrument.

Dorico has begun the implementation, but as they have done with a number of complex tools, the Team is taking this in steps and has not yet realized the portamento-style gliss. Patience: obvious is not the same as easy to implement.

3 Likes

Well put.

To the credit of Dorico’s designers and engineers, it is actually fairly easy to accomplish portamento glissandi manually, assuming one’s VST and samples are accommodating. So, it’s not like one absolutely has to go without. I’ve always been a stickler for good playback, and I’ve managed to get my trombone slides and shakes working great using Dorico’s support for MIDI pitch bends.

Takes more work than just laying down some notation, obviously (which Dorico is astoundingly good at), but it’s most certainly doable.

Waldbaer asked me privately to explain how I get this working in Dorico; I thought I’d post my reply here, as well, in case anyone else is curious.

(Note that I’m focusing only on the Dorico side of things, here. Use of Dorico’s pitch bend feature first requires set up in one’s VST; I have EastWest Symphonic Orchestra and Spitfire sample libraries, and I’ve gotten pitch bend working for both of them. Unless you’re using EWSO or Kontakt, I can’t tell you how to set up pitch bend in your VST.)

In Dorico itself, you have to plot points on the MIDI graph for the relevant instrument in the Play tab.

For example, suppose I have a trombone part that’s notated like this:

trombone_slide

In the Play tab, it normally looks like this:

… and sounds like this:

I can fix this with a few modifications.

First, in the Write tab, I suppress playback of the glissando and the second (destination) note:

Next, in the Play tab, I do two things:

1. I make sure that the duration of the first note covers both notes, by dragging the right edge of that note’s bar.
  2. I plot points on the “MIDI Pitch Bend” channel, indicating how I want the pitch to change over time. (Also, I remember to plot another point afterward, to reset the pitch bend to zero, so that successive notes play at the correct pitch.)

After my changes, the graphs look like this in the Play tab:

… and the instrument sounds like this:

Hope that helps!

6 Likes

I’m afraid that sort of sound is the very reason I soon gave up with using pitch bend using more or less exactly the same method to fake glissandi. But of course if others like it, then who am I to complain!

Well, I‘d say, better bad than nothing! :slight_smile:
Sometimes I prefer it to Dorico’s chromatic Glissandos, sometimes not, but I like to have both possibilities in my toolbox now.
I can confirm that the described workflow works for Note Performer (which is in the thread title actually) and HSO as well. NP pitches up to an octave up and down, HSO seems to be preset two semitones only, but can be configured to your needs.

1 Like

I think it’s beautiful! But that’s matter of taste I guess :grinning:

…which is of course immediately followed by:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s definitely not sufficiently realistic. Generally speaking, though, it is the best that real-time playback can do, in Dorico or any other notation application. Most users will be fine with that standard, I think – especially considering many of us are fine with the sample library that ships with Dorico, which is itself far inferior to the more expensive libraries that can be used with the software.

Ha! :stuck_out_tongue: Indeed!

Or perhaps: