Notes in EWQL Play never stop sounding (OT?)

I don’t know if my difficulty arises from Dorico or EWQL Play 5.0.2 but when I assign instruments in Dorico to the Play plugin, some notes never stop sounding. This happens in different Dorico files and with both vocal and orchestral sounds from EWQL Symphonic Choirs and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra. Has anybody else had this problem or know if it arises from Dorico or Play?

I have as well. If we’re pointing fingers, I’d say it’s Dorico’s doing, as Play doesn’t give me any trouble in Logic or as a standalone. In any case, the best fix involves having a Play window open at all times; from there, click Main Menu (top left of window) and then Stop All Voices.

Thanks, Tony. For me, at least, the “Stop All Voices” button works well to stop voices that should already have stopped some time ago but does nothing to limit similar problems in the remainder of the piece. I suspect this may be what you are experiencing, too, but let me know if things are working longer term for you. At present, I can’t use Play and get acceptable playback in Dorico. This is really a shame considering the wide range of virtual instruments available only in Play and that Play is one of the very few VI players available in VST3 format.

Have you set up the expression maps for Play, or have you just changed the routing and not the expression map? If the latter then that may explain what’s happening because the key switches may still be down.

Thanks, Paul. No, I have not set up the Expression Maps for Play but only changed the routing. I thought expression maps were a future project for Dorico. I see a link to expression maps for EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and EWQL Symphonic Choirs at the link below. Is there a set of instructions somewhere online that will tell me how to install them in Dorico?

You can import them using the Play > Expression Maps dialog, by clicking the button to ‘Import Cubase Expression Map’. Once you have imported them, make sure that you click the little cog icon in the VST Instruments panel on the right-hand side in Play mode so that you can change the expression map chosen for each channel in Play.

Thanks Paul and Daniel. You and other members of the Dorico team continue to amaze me! I would buy Dorico anyway for the wonderful features and UI you have programmed into it, but even if I was less happy with the program, your dedication to helping users get the most out of Dorico would win me over. We are in the middle of the Easter long weekend but, regardless, I have received two responses each to two different posts over the past 24 hours. I hope you make time for your personal enjoyment, too, and wish you and other members of the Dorico team the happiest of Easter weekends!

You’re very welcome. Re: expression maps, they are a work in progress, but they are at a stage where you should be able to get basic switching working for many of the commonly used libraries. However we don’t ship with configurations for 3rd party content at present. Please be aware that if you have changed the routing but haven’t changed the expression map then it will pay back with the HALion key switches which will sound as spurious notes with any other plugin, and I believe that it’s what you’re hearing. Try setting the expression map back to ‘default’ for any affected channels, if you don’t have any EW Play maps

Hear, hear!

I swore I imported those expression maps before. Do I need to import them into every project or can I make those XMs part of the default?

You cannot currently make these expression maps available in every new project you start, I’m afraid (though this is planned). For the time being you’ll need to import them into each project in which you want to use them.