Novation Automap shut-down errors

I noticed in your signature you have a MAC and a PC, do both system suffer from crash on exit?

To niles. Sorry I did not mention it. Cubase 6.5.3 (64 bit and 32 bit) Mac OSX 10.6.8

No problems on Windows 7

I have another topic about this issue here:

I’m a MAC noob, but did you ever tried to load up Win7 on your MAC through bootcamp to see if the problem persists?
I don’t know how much hassle it is to install Win7 on a MAC, so forgive me if it’s an unrealistic proposal.

No plan on installing W7 on my Mac :slight_smile:

This problem is not a catastrophe, only annoying.

OK…so, in tracking it down…it’s Mac specific?

I have three Macs here…though none in the studio. But, I can pull my key and install it. I have an iMac with 10.6.8…and a new MacBook Air with 10.7x (which I could probably upgrade to 10.8 if need be).

But, does it happen with the built in audio? I know that’s not a real world scenario…if it still happens, it has to be software related, as there’s no third part driver that could be hanging…AND…all I would be able to test with, as my studio interface is PCI.

If I can be of assistance, let me know. I don’t mind installing on either system-been meaning to install it on he MBA, just to see how quickly it launches from SSD…but, I do only have 6.0.x. Did it happen with that?

Maybe that’s the best thing to do as a community…iron it out. Does it happen on X.5? X.7? Does it happen on Mac Pros AND iMacs and laptops? Using built in audio/midi hardware? No third party plug ins?

On a Mac, a plug in absolutely can cause it…because Kontakt is one I know of that launches an independent process (Kontakt memory server) that Cubase can’t directly control…which hooks into system resources…ram and HD…not unlike the hangs I had with JBridge on Windows.

Anyway, of course installing Win7 is silly…then you’re running Windows…different OS…different Cubase code…different drivers…the only thing that would make it hang then is a physical issue with the Mac hardware? Not likely.

So, I can try…but, I need to know that you have taken it that far…you know it’s Mac only…you know it happens with NO third party plug ins/instruments in play…and with the built in sound. And obviously, you’ve trashed your preferences? Repairs disk permissions on both install and instrument(or audio) drives?

Here 2 of the 25 different setups I have tested:

Mac OSX 10.6.8

ASIO: Built-in Audio
Steinberg Key
Apple Keyboard

No external USB of any kind
No external FireWire of any kind

No project open

Only Cubase 6.5.3 running on the Mac OSX 10.6.8

Sometime it crashes on quit
Sometimes it quits correctly

ASIO: Tascam M-164UF
Steinberg Key
Apple Keyboard

No external USB of any kind
No external FireWire of any kind

No project open

Only Cubase 6.5.3 running on the Mac OSX 10.6.8

Sometime it crashes on quit
Sometimes it quits correctly

This seems to be the core of this issue - there is seemingly no pattern in how Cubase behaves - except the longer it is open the more chance there is for crash.

Ok…Mac power management set to never sleep ANYTHING…? I do remember having some issues if I left my machine and the HD went to sleep…

No project open, assuming you mean you didn’t open one at ALL since opening the app, would rule out third party VIs or ram bridges. Is that what you mean? That you opened the app but never opened a project? OR just that you had closed the project before trying to exit?

popmann - no open projects at all. No sleep.

I will not spend more time on this issue at the moment but I will continue to keep an eye on the problem in different actions.

Even though I have pretty big and complex projects and use A LOT of third party plugins, I actually never had this problem in Cubase 6/6.5 (32 bit). I am really happy about how stable Cubase is.

I’m sure that all these cases can be solved by atleast one of these actions:

• Renaming/moving all the VST folders (not just VSTPlugins…).
  • Purging all preferences/setting files.
    …and last, but not least:
  • Complete clean installation of OS and Cubase. Will solve 100% of the cases (if it isn’t hardware/driver/computer problems).

Your signature says you run Windows. OP has already said its a Mac only issue.

I still didn’t hear if my v6 will do to test…or if this is 6.5 specific…I have 4.0-.5 media and my 6.0 media and whatever updates I can download for that. Maybe I’ll read when I have some time.

I am the OP and I use windows 7 64-bit.

Sorry…cool…so, that’s very odd since there’s no code in common.

Jbridge at all?

I’m thinking back…the only time I’ve had it hang on exit was related to JBridge…which is no longer installed since bfd2 went native 64bit. Which is explainable by the external process Cubase doesn’t directly have control over, but does over it’s parent.

Will yours hang without opening any projects?

I did have it hang on exit a while back when My two week Slate VTM demo expired…it gave me errors on startup saying I needed a valid license…but, then hung on exit…I just went in and removed the DLL from the plug folder, problem solved.

I’ve been running C4.52 and 6.0 on Win7x64 for a couple years now without major issue. jbrige hung it a lot. Aforementioned Slate. Bfd2 didn’t bridge natively or in Jbridge well before it went 64bit.

Echo Gina 3G…more USB things than should work…ilok2, ilok1, eLicenser, Griffin “knob”, keyboard, mouse, MOTU 5x5 interface, backup HD, MCU Pro+Ext, Akai DPS24(runs in a 32bit VM)…sample drive, OS drive, audio drive…all on a C2Q 2.4 with an nVidia chipset.

Weird.

For me on Windows 7 64bit, it was Automap causing the shut-down hang, and all I had to do was:

1. Open Automap ‘Software Setup…’ control panel
  2. Select VST3 plugin list
  3. Un-enable all plug-ins, so that they become ‘unwrapped’ (confirm Yes in the User Account Control dialog)
  4. Re-enable all the plug-ins that you want to use with Automap, so they are re-wrapped again

Then Cubase (6.5.3) was perfectly happy and shut down with no problems.

If you still have trouble, you could try repeating this with the VST plugin list.

Echo Gina 3G…more USB things than should work…ilok2, ilok1, eLicenser, Griffin “knob”, keyboard, mouse, MOTU 5x5 interface, backup HD, MCU Pro+Ext, Akai DPS24(runs in a 32bit VM)…sample drive, OS drive, audio drive…all on a C2Q 2.4 with an nVidia chipset

Seeing that spec list I’m surprised you actually get C6 running. And then you say it’s a Mac only problem.
Scuse me… :mrgreen:
Shut down errors usually mean a machine needs cleaning.
To the OP. Does anything else shutdown or just “run funny” on your computer?
And the simple maintenance; have you ran defrag & cleanup often recently?
Or just dusted the inside of the computer tower?

Except for the Cubase 6 shut-down error, everything else works pretty flawless on my DAW. Cubase 6 itself works flawless…except for the shut-down error.

Hey Sean - you keep referring to the shut-down error. Are you referring to Cubase hanging on exit, or are you referring to an actual error message that you see?

Interesting point. Runs and shuts down ok except that message appears?
One thing that would be in my mind if that’s the case would be something in the registry from an older (updated?) portion of Cubase. I’d consider that one solution would be a complete reinstall from the master disks plus the later updates. Just consider, not necessarily do. I’d trawl the net on it just to see if anything looked likely in that line of thinking. Search term: “Shut down error message” and see if anything turns up involving other programs having this and what solutions may be available for consideration.

If this thread is referring to the “hang on exit” issue that’s been in Cubase/Nuendo for year, then no, that is not correct.

I reported the hanging issue to Steinberg support months ago and demonstrated that it was not related to any specific third party plugin, Automap, etc. In fact I did not have any plugins, Automap, or Eucon enabled when this occurred in a couple of instances (rare in unloaded projects however). It simply happens more with additional plugins, Automap, etc that have to be closed on exit, where Cubase fails to clean up some connection before closing the app - then it hangs.

However, it is not unreasonable to expect that this is related to crash on exit issues.

I am using the same workaround I reported in the hang on exit thread, and while a pain, it does prevent Cubase hanging on exit. This, or both issues (if in fact different), still need to be fixed ASAP.

csd’s comment is 100% correct; although I always appreciate SB employees chiming in (which, IMHO does not happen enough), Marcus’ comment must have been referring to crashing on exit, not hanging on exit. Here, crashing on exit happens to me about 2x per year (ie, hardly ever), wheras hanging on exit happens on an almost daily basis if I open and close Cubase often enough. Which, in and of itself, happens enough. Crashing on exit can be due to a variety of things, including - but not limited to - a third party VST Plug-In or third party software. So there, Marcus’ comment was right on. Hanging on exit has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with plugs, third party software, VIs, USB devices, nor Automap, third party drivers, etc. I hope Marcus was not referring to hanging on exit.

Sean, can you comment on my post above when you have time? Thanks!

Seeing that spec list I’m surprised you actually get C6 running. And then you say it’s a Mac only problem.
Scuse me…

I said that because someone else said that…I was trying to help. As someone with an XP, Win7x64, OSx.6, and OSx.7 box here…I thought I could reproduce it…but, what I’m getting is that no one has even attempted to reproduce it on a clean box.

As an ex IT guy, I can tell you that if I were Steiny, given the info here, I would put your ticket in the “look at it when I’m bored” pile. If it’s on Mac and Windows, I don’t care what’s being said here, biggest suspect is a third party plug. Or mutliple ones that make the same kind of hook/API call. There’s nothing more frustrating to

To those afflicted, get a new drive. Install the OS. Install Cubase. Tell me it hangs on exit. Go ahead any use it…but, only with stock instruments and plugs…tell me it hangs on exit. If it doesn’t, it’s not OS/Cubase/computer hardware**. One by one, you add things–I would start with audio midi hardware devices. Once it’s free and clear, start adding audio plugs…free and clear…instruments…Take image snapshots at every step, so that you can quickly get back to last known good. Uninstall and dragging things into the trash is not an effective way to get back to last state. Once you find what causes it…you restore from before you installed that…and install everything ELSE…no hang, you have the culprit. And THAT, Steiny can reproduce and decide if they can/will fix it or whether you need to take it back to the third party dev.

Too much trouble? Then don’t blame Steiny for not “fixing it”. Give them something they can reproduce. Not “here in my room, it hangs”…because they’ll answer that with “here in our 900, it doesn’t”. Let’s assume I’m Steiny. I can’t reproduce it. How would you like me to fix the code? (answer: if you can’t reproduce, you can’t fix) For one in a 100 users? one in 1000? one in 10, 000? The onous is on you (collectively) to give them something reproducible. The best they may be able to do is enable some sort of extra logging/debugging for the app…

**which does NOT mean it’s not Steiny’s to fix…but, it’s an interaction outside of the box software, thus not something they have any way to reproduce.