Nuage in use?

v

v

It would seem I am on the “other side” so to speak, as I do like Nuendo 6, and the new mixer GUI is fine with me. I used to be intrigued with the hardware emulation GUI concept, but at this point I will take ergonomics over visuals any day.

To me the new mixer design seems to be about quite a bit more than compatibility with Nuage (though that is a very significant advantage with Nuendo 6 and Nuage). I would venture a guess it is a step towards a dockable, flexible GUI that isn’t tied to the old internal windowing system. That is worth more to me than 3D knobs and faders. I despised the previous mixer, and avoided using it because it never recalled my layouts of inserts, sends and EQs correctly, and I could never get screen layouts looking right within the old window system.

Being able to simply assign the new mixers to a dedicated 2nd or 3rd monitor, and have each recall exactly the setup I assigned it, with multiple layout options for each, is worth it’s weight in gold. It does feel like a work in progress, but I see the path a bit differently than some others here seem to - giving up some graphics now for better functionality moving forward is the right approach in my opinion.

And yes, it does fit with the touch screen future much better than anything else out there, but I see that as a bonus, not the main goal. I will eventually move my studio to touch screens and Windows 8. While I don’t plan to replace a hardware mixer-controller with touch screens, I do plan to integrate them into my work where they make life easier - and I can see a lot of ways for that to happen.

Disclaimer - I don’t own a Nuage system, yet - but I am very impressed with the design and capabilities. And I do use ProTools as well, but after several years with both, and as much as I like ProTools for what it is, I find myself being faster with Nuendo 6 and enjoying it more.

v

Well I didn’t say that was the case - to the contrary. But I get the impression from other posters here that perhaps some do, and hence my reply. However, since the topic is asking about Nuage installs then perhaps if you don’t have one, general opinions about Nuage and Nuendo should move to a new thread.

On that note does anyone in the western US have one? I wouldn’t mind seeing one in use.

I disagree about touch screen not being pro… Moving onto my first touch screen next month. Just been waiting for stock. I’ll let you know how it goes. I am going to take advantage of the great new mixer design with touch screen. If this doesn’t work for me…then Nuage it is!! :wink:

From the NUAGE page on Steinberg’s site:
“Steinberg’s Nuendo 6 represents the basis for all functions and features that can be operated via the Nuage controller hardware. Large parts of the Nuendo code base have been rewritten in order to make Nuendo the “brain” of the Nuage controller. This also includes the creation of completely new program areas such as the revolutionary mixer concept.”
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nuendo/nuendo_system_solutions/nuage_system_solution.html

v

That is correct. The integration is much beeper than through KC’s.
The old fashioned KC’s can be used together with the Nuage functionalities, so both are still there.

So why would any component of the Nuendo GUI > require > reprogramming to make Nuage work?

Because there are a lot of extra functions and/or some things might have had the need for a redesign to make them work for both (Nuage & standalone).

And the GUI and clicking is what people dislike, not necessarily primarily the functionality of the mixer.

Last thing about the mixer, then we will get back to Nuage questions. I thought I was clear about that.
There are a couple of things most of you seem to forget. The old mixer was becoming a PITA on some screen resolutions, so the resizing is not a fancy iPad-like gimmick. Since screen resolutions are very different from one system to another, and since there are more and more things that need to be displayed in the mixer (and we haven’t seen the end of this), they needed to find a way to squeeze all that information within a concept that worked for each specific configuration. And that is not an easy task. To be clear, I don’t think anyone doubts that there is room for imporvements, but saying that the basic concept is a big mistake is simply not correct. Everyone concentrates on the bits and parts he/she uses the most, and when you isolate these, then indeed the “old” way worked better. But when you keep on piling up stuff, there comes a moment when you need to rearrange in order to keep the overview.

Anyone who wants to continue the general mixer GUI discussion, please continue in another thread.
Do not answer or discuss this any further here, unless it is related to Nuage.
You can copy the comments/quotes to the new destination.

Fredo

v

Well, I was thinking that it was a small hickup and that people would not use this as a wildcard to let the thread derail, as been asked.
Obviously I was wrong.

Fredo

Good grief. I was not responding to derail this thread, but rather to head off the the mixer, GUI and Nuendo complaining. And I did ask a relevant question about Nuage. But since it seems you are the only owner on this forum, that answers my question, and makes the rest of this thread irrelevant.

Lydiot, if you don’t own one or considering buying one then why are you posting this thread?

v

v

v

No, not at all. We haven’t bought into the hardware simply because we are MADI all over the place.
I really wasn’t jumping up and down to have to change the protocol in all rooms, since MADI and Dante are hard to combine.

Fredo

When I get that right, PT-Support is really very basic, Mac-Only (???), and you need to run Nuendo in Background on another system…?
It seems that my good old mackie control is more versatile in this regard.

v