Nuendo 10 freezes with dual screen setup

Hey y’all!

I’m having a quite annoying issue, which came out in the last 2 days, and I’ve never experienced it in the last 1+ year with the same workstation and using N10 in the last few months.

In the last 2-3 days I had to format my pc and reinstall everything.

Now I’m having this issue: Nuendo freezes whenever I try to work with a 2 screen setup/workspace and, specifically, whenever I’m trying to use the second monitor with the video player and plugins. If I do that, Nuendo freezes, while the audio stream may keep going on, depending on if I was in playback when the freeze occurred or not. If I’m reproducing something in the sequencer, press F8 to show/hide the video player in the 2nd screen, eventually Nuendo freezes.

Of course, if I open one project which is already set up for 2 screens usage, the project freezes immediately. So I have to turn off the second screen so Nuendo can rely only on screen 1 and it works.

I’ve already tried several ways to solve this: changed refresh rate, color space, even tried with another screen, but the issue is still there.

Interesting enough (or not), the issue didn’t happen if I duplicated (so the same view on both the screens), while in extended mode (the one I always use) the issue happens. Furthemore, If I change the order of the screens (screen 1 and screen 2) between the 2 screens, screen 2 is the one which makes Nuendo freeze.

I’m using Nuendo 10.3, but I had the issue even when trying Nuendo 10.0.20.

My specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

RAM: 32,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)

Mobo: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) (AM4)

Screens: MSI MAG271C (1920x1080@144Hz) and Philips 247ELH (1920x1080@60Hz)

GPU: 8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 (ATI)

Storage:

NvmeCrucial CT1000P1SSD8 (Unknown (SSD))

2x Crucial SSD NVMe 1TB

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

Audio interface: RME Babyface Pro

Anything anyone??

I have recently got this error to!
Very disruptive and made me switch rigs several times to find out what is the error.
Sorry to say I havent come up with any sollution but I’m suspecting it has something to do with windows. Video seems stable on 1909 but not on 20**. (Pro or Home makes no difference)
It doesn’t seem to be related to the GPU or CPU (thought it might be an issue with Intel/AMD).
Please fix this @Steinberg_Archived. My brand new DAW super-setup is just laying around collecting dust as I am super dependent on sending video to different screens.

1 Like

Hey @Josef_Tuulse! Many thanks for your reply, it’s actually super interesting!
In fact, this could be the only relevant difference between my pc before format and after format: the windows version.
Well, I’ve already submitted a support request to @Steinberg_Archived, to which I just added your report as further info!
Let’s hope is gonna be solved!

its possible that Nuendo and Cubase is not supported yet on win20. Dam windows updates that run without permission. One reason to have a pro version of windows which allows you to delay a feature update for a year

1 Like

no not possible… it works

1 Like

Hey @st10ss, what do you mean exactly? Generally speaking, like Cubase and Nuendo run on win20, or that are fully supported (so no issues like mine) on win20 - or, at least, everything is ok on your side?

First of all there is no Win20
and Cubase and Nuendo run generally on Win10 2004 and 20H2, on both editions, Home and Pro.
There still issues, but non of them as you described.
This is highly related with the drivers for your graphics card and/or some settings for them.
Did you have any game extensions installed? Which video profile do you use?
Did you installed the latest stable driver?

I use Nuendo 11 and Cubase 10.5 with three screens at the moment. Graphics card is a Radeon RX570.

yeah, I know, we were referring to Win10 20H2 :slight_smile:

nope

a custom one, but very basic settings

yep

Software Version - 2020.1113.1501.27036
Driver Version - 20.45.01.18-201113a-361132C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2020
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01471
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.14757
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.16
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.159
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.2.152
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

what I mean is that has it been certified for windows10H1 or 10H2
System requirements | Steinberg
Look under System Requirements operating system says “64-bit Windows 10 Version 1909, 64-bit Windows 10 Version 2004” that’s what its been tested on, whether it works or not on 10H1 or not, you should stick to those versions

1 Like

the problem could be the RX5700

there are more crashes reported with it… introduced with the latest driver (the one from August 2020 should work for now)

My RX570 is crash free.

Question regarding Steinberg’s approach to the atidxx64.dll crashes

1 Like

That’s actually interesting, but it’s worth saying that I had the issue even with no drivers at all.

I am refering to the build and not the version.
I evaluating a new install with 20** pro.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

After getting a reply from Steinberg to the ticket I opened…

This is probably caused by either the Nahimic Service and/or the ASUS Suite Ai 3.
But it could be a problem with the GPU RX 5700, the crash occurred in atidxx64.dll

The Nahimic Service can be stopped via msconfig → Services
ASUS Ai should be completely uninstalled.

If this doesn’t help, please try to set the GPU operation to PCI3 legacy, this helped in quite a few cases.

… I eventually tried, and by disabling Nahimic Service, Nuendo is now fully working, and it correctly behaves with my 2nd screen.