Nuendo 10 operation questions please

Hello,

Long time Nuendo user, new N10 user. We’re moving our 14 systems to N10 and I’m doing some proofing before that. I have some operation questions if someone has some insight.

Add track dialog -
Add Track.png
Nice dialog window, however when adding multiple tracks I’m missing a few things, perhaps it’s me.
First, there doesn’t appear to be a way to increment the input and output buses when adding multiple tracks. All our projects have high I/O counts. We can select the tracks and increment the I/O, which we do now, but this new dialog seems ready to offer that. Is there a way to accomplish auto-incrementing I/O when adding tracks?

Second, we name our tracks so they sort correctly per the track sheet in Finder or Explorer, meaning a number comes first, then a dash, then the track name. Ex.-
001-Kick In
002-Kick Out
003-Snare Top
etc.

If I enter a “001-” in the Name field and add multiple tracks I get -
001-1
001-2
001-3
etc.
Anyone know of a way to accomplish a leading numerical increment?

Third, selecting the Audio Inputs pulldown there does not appear to be a way to select No Input. I can do this on the track but not on the Add Track dialog. Seems like a basic function, anyone know of a way to accomplish that?

Buses window -

I seem to have hit a bus count limitation. I looked in the manual and couldn’t find a reference to a limitation, however with this setup I could not add any more than approximately 4 or 5 more busses. If I attempted to add 10 I only got some. If I then deleted a couple of the added ones and attempted to add 10 again, I got to the same number. No matter how I got there the maximum appeared to always hit the same. Is there a way around this?
I ask because during acquisition we usually record 192 mono tracks and render interleaved stereo and surround files later for various distribution destinations. This time I attempted to record both sets simultaneously to save a bunch of time and ended up not able to add enough busses to accommodate. Anyone know of a way to make more busses than our current maximum, whatever that is?

Mix Console Less Overview -

I overlaid two Mix Console Overviews from two projects because I couldn’t seem to upload more than three files.
The two overlaid Overview pictures have different numbers of meters corresponding to tracks visible in the Overview. Both projects have more tracks than will fit in the Overview width, however one project’s Overview meters stop well short of the window’s edges, the other project’s Overview meters extend to the window’s edges. Both projects have more tracks than will fit in the Overview and will scroll the Overview if the mixer is scrolled there. If that makes sense. Anyone know why? I’d like to have as many visible as possible.

Another one I don’t have a picture for -
When adding multi-channel input or output busses in the Audio Connections window, each and every surround leg must have it’s hardware input or output assigned. Ex. -

• Select Device Port for Lf of bus.
  • Scroll and scroll to the needed hardware port.
  • Select Device Port for Rf of bus.
  • Select Device Port for Ctr of bus.
  • Select Device Port for Lfe of bus.
  • Select Device Port for Ls of bus.
  • Select Device Port for Rs of bus.
  • And that’s just one 5.1 input or output.

Is there a more streamlined way of doing this? Each surround bus will be somewhere in the Madi inputs or outputs and I’d like the ability to, for instance, select the first leg and have the others auto-increment. Is that or something similar possible?

Thanks for any input you may have. Enjoying N10 so far even though it’s a bit greedy compared to N7 but quite nice so far. Stability is to be determined.

Thanks,
Hugh

Add track incrementally - I don’t think so.

Numbers first in track name - not in the creation of tracks but ought to be possible and pretty fast using PLE macro.

Input bus limitation - I have a max of 192 physical inputs and have not tried adding more, perhaps that is the limit at this time?

Assign I/O - no you don’t need to assign hardware IO, most of my outputs are not assigned and used as busses instead.
To assign multiple hardware ports in series use shift modifier (limited to do this within one bus at a time though, so still not perfect but you don’t have to do them all individually).

Hello ErikG,

Thank you for the responses, as I suspected for the first three. The bus quantity limitation, if indeed it is that, is indicating around 204 or 205 on these systems, that should be documented (and increased) if it’s the case.

Still can’t figure out why I’m getting limited Overview meters on two systems and not on my laptop test system. Will require more research.

I attempted various modifiers for the Device Port selection on a surround input bus and am not able to change more than a single leg at a time.

• Shift on Device Port field - will not activate pulldown.
  • Shift-select all the legs then select Device Port field - only changes the one leg.
  • Various combinations of modifiers - only the opt/alt allows the pulldown but doesn’t do anything different.

How are you able to do it please?

Thanks,
Hugh

Very simple see video on the link:

Hello ErikG,
Thank you for the demonstration, I was using modifier keys before the selection not after as you suggested. This will save us a lot of time when using multichannel busses.

Doing some experimentation on bus count limitations, it appears there is a bus leg count limitation - mono=1 leg, 5.1=6 legs, etc. There is a limit of 256 input legs and 256 output legs, tested with various combinations of bus type.

This restricts our ability to generate all the files at the same time during acquisition. We typically record 192 mono inputs and were hoping to use those same hardware ports to generate additional stereo and 5.1 interleaved files for those that need them, saving us time and errors rendering them after acquisition. This is not about the number of hardware I/O ports, the card’s 192 are used in all the busses no matter the width. We can accomplish it up to 256 legs, so for instance -
192 mono + 20 stereo busses = leaves only 4 5.1 busses available.

That’s unfortunate for our needs.

Hugh