Nuendo 11 for Apple Silicon?

Now that the N11 is out of the bag, can we expect an Apple Silicon version of Nuendo as a 11.X update? TIA!

Just thinking out loud, somewhat logically I believe, but I would not expect to see that for a while. That has got to be a pretty big rewrite. Consider that the time spent rewriting what I imagine is a significant portion of Steinberg’s applications to a completely new architecture is time that cannot be spent on product development, maintenance releases and Bug fixes.

There is no way recoding for a different system architecture was a part of SB’s long-term product development map until fairly recently. And to be honest, it would be fascinating to know what percentage of development resources is already spent by Developers accommodating Apple’s seeming lack of concern for such things when substantially breaking functionality with each new update of OSX.

The M1 development looks great technically but I’m not a big fan of Apple’s handling of transitions in their OS. It certainly appears arrogant at times and I don’t think they make it easy on the Developers for the most part.

I’ve been using Cubase since 1988 on the Atari ST and everything in between. Using Nuendo is my first priority, the computer choice will be whatever makes that tool the best it can be. That said, the original OS 9 to OS X was painful, as was the switch from IBM to Intel, but Apple has learned a great deal from those transitions, and this one seems to be going at light speed in comparison. Adobe will be completely native on the M1 by the end of January. From the research I have done, it’s not as much a re-write as a re-compile, and according to many companies, the re-compile is going better than anticipated or predicted even by Apple themselves. So far, most of the plugins are not yet ported over but are running well under Rosetta 2 in Logic Pro X, which at least bodes well when Steinberg is able to be Big Sur compatible, and then M1 native. It’s not perfect but it seems to be moving more efficiently than in the past, and there is no denying the advantage this chip configuration gives us in powerful, quiet studio operation. I was about to build a Risen 9 system and leave the mac platform. I’m holding off a bit to see how things develop. :notes: :control_knobs:

This actually makes me hopeful that it could come soonish: the adoption of the Metal framework.

Apple will have spent a great deal of resources creating the translation layer to allow apps designed for x86 to run on their new architecture. That is a transitional tool to allow current Nuendo (and any other app you likely use) to run on an otherwise incompatible architecture. It simply makes the new architecture appear to be an x86 machine, but at a cost in efficiency. It was a necessity for Apple to spend whatever resources required (from their very large war chest) or else their new CPU would be Dead On Arrival.

That is a very different process than a zillion individual developers rewriting their apps to run natively on the new CPU. It’s going to take time as, other than better performance on those specific machines, there is no other benefit to users while requiring likely significant resources to make happen. For everyone who does/will not use an Apple M1 based machine, it is a step backwards as resources spent on that coding reduce new features and other fixes that would otherwise happen sooner.

Progress comes at a price. In this case, all Nuendo users will pay some price in features that would have come from the time spent on native M1 compatibility. I am not complaining, just clarifying the scenario.