Nuendo 12 first preview - video available!

Thing is, for a post oriented tool, that is a fundamental feature, much more than for a music oriented tool.
No matter how many bells and phenomenally advanced features are coming, Nuendo is still missing a tool that is fundamental to editing for post.
(Still, great features in N12! :smirk:)

1 Like

It is for some, yet I literally almost never use ripple edit. I don’t use it in Nuendo (for obvious reasons) and I don’t use it in PT.

i guess ripple editing is useful when editing something that isn’t synced to picture. i’ve used it in Reaper and PT before when editing podcasts the few times i’ve taken on those jobs, but i think the majority of us are working to picture, so ripple editing would obviously throw off sync and be completely useless.

if i ever had another podcast project, i could definitely see it being useful, but those are few and far between for me.

1 Like

I’d use it for working to picture. When I have just few edits, I usually export markers from the editing software, import them in Nuendo and move the audio around. Ripple editing would save me a lot of time.

i see. i use EDL’s and the Reconform tool for this task. it works well!

1 Like

I’ve done an audio book and some podcasts, and for that type of editing I totally agree it’s valuable, or essential even. Just wanted to mention that there probably are a fair amount of people that don’t really need it in most of their work.

Timo, thanks for discussing why this feature has been taking so long! And I am still excited for Nuendo 12, despite not having ripple editing for now. And I understand that there are developmental complexities that will take a huge amount of effort, I feared as much, and I also understand striking a balance between other features.

HOWEVER, I just want to reiterate that a comprehensive, native ripple editing mode (not some hybrid key command/macro kind of thing!), is essential to many workflows… a fundamental core usability feature for thousands of creatives. And while all these other great features are really nice and class-leading (bravo!), Nuendo is still missing this core feature. Some of your very vocal and high-profile customers may not use it at all and dismiss it, since there are so many workflows that Nuendo excels at for their clients (and for my clients too), but I think many people have also been so frustrated they just simply use other apps to compensate for this area of weakness (which is what I have to do), or they just “get along” with Nuendo as-is and just grin and bear the frustration (which I also sometimes do), OR they’ve never migrated to Cubase or Nuendo because (in part) it’s missing this feature (which is what many of my colleagues have done).

It’s important to differentiate between people who use ripple editing a LITTLE and people who use it a LOT. IMO, a large number of POST people don’t need a ripple workflow very often, and perhaps you’ve been listening to them for too many years as the loudest voices, and naturally, they are often locked into a timeline where ripple editing is far less important to them… so you therefore haven’t been as motivated to build a great ripple mode. BUT there are many pros immersed in broadcast, podcasting, sound design, game design, creators/producers, and many other disciplines, who can benefit immensely from it, or simply require it. So please consider the emerging markets there too. Just podcasting alone has skyrocketed into a major revenue stream for many producers. I’ve had months where my own revenue was greater from podcast client work than post production work! It’s a real emerging and growing market, and a vast number of podcast producers are of course using other tools, including, as you know, Reaper, which has a great native ripple editing mode. That’s just one other market. There are many others that use that feature. So please listen to a broader range of people instead of the nay-sayers for ripple editing who don’t rely on it for their clients.

Also, when Nuendo bills itself as a dialogue powerhouse, for example, how can it be a dialogue powerhouse without a true native ripple editing mode? It’s only a dialogue powerhouse for specific POST workflows, and that’s fine and good as Sebastian demoed, and I’m excited about all that for some of my clients, BUT there are OTHER dialogue workflows, let alone game, sound design, podcast, etc., etc…

Anyway, I understand your point, and I’m honestly relieved that it’s on your roadmap and that you’re open to publicly comment on it! Thank you for that. But PLEASE realize that sometimes the 5 shiny and sparkly things are not necessarily better than ONE fundamental feature. And yes, that ONE fundamental feature looks like it will take a LOT of work. That is a bummer, but it’s still worth it. And for all those who think that the macros or simple key commands are enough, or that they don’t need it for their workflows, keep in mind the many thousands and thousands of producers and creatives who DO use it on other platforms, many of whom are mystified and bewildered when I tell them that Nuendo still doesn’t have a native ripple editing mode.

And also imagine a Nuendo that finally has a great ripple editing mode – that even a long-time POST professional in a volatile market can get a freelance podcasting contract (or broadcast, or sound design, or game audio, or many other side gigs) to pay for a family vacation, and he will thank his lucky stars that he can continue to use Nuendo for it.

Yes, the king of DAWs (Nuendo) has many great features we all love, but it’s still missing what some $60 DAWs have… And your customer base is larger than one dialogue workflow. And yes, your existing client base is called upon more and more to do other kinds of audio projects where a native ripple editing mode is profoundly time-saving. As you said, you’re watching the market… well, take a good look at other workflows for many emerging audio revenue streams, and many of them rely on native ripple editing.

Anyway, thanks again for your comments and being up front about the status of ripple editing. And looking forward to Nuendo 12 for sure… but please elevate this feature request on your priority list. It’s worth 5 shiny other features to a great many existing and potential customers. Cheers! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yeah, I know. For just an insert it feels to me as too complicated a workflow, when 2 markers and a (ripple)edit will do.

This can be said about anything, really.
I do very little dialogue and no ADR so everything related to this has very little importance for me. Still, I’m not going to dismiss those when I know they are very important for lots of pros/studios.
For my usage, the only thing useful in Nuendo 12 is the selection display preference. All the rest that interests me is from the Cubase toolset: MIDI remote, audio editing etc.
Now, should it had ripple editing, it would have been huge for me.

I didn’t dismiss anyone. You offered your opinion, I offered mine.

Personally I don’t care how long N12 or the video is postponed for, as long as the long litany of bugs in Cubase 12 don’t find their way into Nuendo 12. Prayers…

3 Likes

I’ve question regarding ADR update

I noticed that the design is changed, and the things discussed in the video related to script management and API.

is there any change regarding how ADR is played and showed on the screen?

I really hope a shortcut has been added to “Show automation lane” for last clicked parameter. For example If I want to manually draw a curve for a 3rd party reverb size (or whatever), I would like to just click on the reverb size knob, press a shortcut, and that automation lane pops up. This is possible in other DAWs such as Studio One, Reaper, etc.

To do that now, I have to either navigate through menus to find the parameter I want to draw a curve for, OR turn ‘Write’ on, press play, click the parameter, stop playing, undo the automation points it created, then draw the curves…which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion when in other DAWs I can just click the knob, press ALT+A (or whatever) and it shows the lane for that parameter.

Unless I’m just missing an easier way to do this?

I am in the same boat, but I also accept that DAWs cannot have all functionality other DAWs have all the time. I know this is not what you probably want to hear, but you are going to have to accept that you are one of many customers and if they could tailor it to just your needs, they would but the reality is simple: Nuendo focusses on other things than reaper. I cannot imagine Reaper has all the exact functionality that Nuendo has. If it would, you would probably not be here.
Nevertheless I do look forward to a versions of ripple edit since I just spent some time editing voice over and it would have saved me an hour at least. I’m going to look into building a macro for the next time, because it seems to me that some advantages can be made.

Unfortunately N12 looks like another “bells and whistles” release that focuses on buzzword magic features.
I personally think that N would really need a couple of major release that focus entirely on ironing out bugs and solving really odd workflow problems.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s really what I was hoping for N12, improving on odd / outdated workflows and bug fixes. Maybe there are some of those things they haven’t shown yet, but not holding my breath.

You can set it by pressing F6

The only big things for me in Nuendo 12 are:
(1) Headphone Calibration; and
(2) Warping directly on the track without opening a new window. That Pro Tools has had for a while now and its quite a good one.
Because I use Nuendo for music, most of the new things ain’t big for me. I could choose to stay on N11, but the Headphone calibration is huge for me as it eliminates the need to buy SonarWorks for quite some money.

Yeah, it focuses on post, where ripple editing is essential.
Thanks for the lecturing, you’re missing the point completely.

Right.
@TimoWildenhain , are you guys sure about this?
I’ve been checking a Cubase AI 12 lic I had around and it wasn’t encouraging.
Then the 12.0.10 update came out two days ago, supposedly fixing bugs, and things got worse.
This is on a system where Nuendo 11.0.40 works very well.
The whole 12 release, at least on the Cubase side, looks rushed, unfinished and untested.

1 Like