Nuendo 5.1.1 - video engine

Hi all,

thanks very much for your replies and reports regarding the latest update. Obviously there
are problems with the 5.1.1 update with regards to the video engine. We already have set up
a special team that is working since last week to analyse why the video is not playing correctly
in some cases. Based on defective projects, which have kindly been send to us by some users,
we’re now able to analyse these issues using real-world projects and are also using even more
different video cards in our testing scenarios.

I’ll keep you posted. I expect that more information will be available soon.

Thanks,
Timo

Thanks for the communication Timo. Maybe this is the time as I have been advocating for years, to increase the size of your beta team?
rsp

Hi

Thank heavens! I just came back to Nuendo (Mac Based) after a very happy experience with Cubase 5.5 and recently Cubase 6 seems good too (all Radio work though). I installed the latest 5.1.1 with great hopes…

But I loaded up the first Movie project and Native video playback was h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e. Unusably intermittent.

The Video option to use the Apple Cinema Desktop preview doesn’t work at all ! (black screen).

Thank heavens our Intensity Pro card seems to output nicely … though not at the native frame rate size I want.

On the other hand Logic Studio 2 does the video however you tell it to (all of the above) as smooth as silk.

With the price premium of Nuendo it’s really tough to see how this situation exists… no different from V4, which was why I abandoned it.

Still, acknowledgement that there’s a problem is at least some progress. I look forward to a prompt fix!

Best

PS : no, it’s not my Video format etc … it’s the program.

Lee

+1

I understand something wrong with video engine, but also I suspect you guys are using some strange video formats. I can make Nuendo video engine stuttering also by using heavily compressed H264 etc… I re-encode such videos. That’s it.

PS : no, it’s not my Video format etc … it’s the program.

Really?.. Could you post example video?

Why do you think the size of beta team is small and increasing it solves all problems?

Because of this statement for example:

Obviously there are problems with the 5.1.1 update with regards to the video engine.

unless these problems were seen in the beta cycle, and ignored…
I don’t think it will solve all problems, but certainly increase the likelihood of problems being found…

rsp

But quite frankly for me and many others Nuendo has ‘problems’…some ‘basic’ problems exist in released versions, and don’t’ get fixed in subsequent releases etc…look at this forum and the old forums…it is either the problems were found and ignored or not found…Being a member of several beta teams for several different companies, unless SB is completely different, this continued trend suggests to me that it may be a combination of both, quite frankly more of the former, unless SB is completely different than all the other companies I beta test for…making a more diverse beta team will clearly help the latter…

Clearly I am not privy to the Nuendo beta team discussions, but for example the video auto scaling that was removed…I am pretty sure other beta teams would have kicked up a stink about that being removed…maybe they did and were ignored…maybe you need louder voices on the team…

rsp

So, problems could be found but not fixed for some reason? Right?.. And concerning video engine, as I said, it can be related to using some strange video formats which are not used normally… Of course it can be just some specific configuration…

Clearly I am not privy to the Nuendo beta team discussions, but for example the video auto scaling that was removed…I am pretty sure other beta teams would have kicked up a stink about that being removed…maybe they did and were ignored…maybe you need louder voices on the team…

You really think some LOUDER VOICES can help if developers have decided to remove it because of future re-design?..

yes that too is possible, problems found but could not be fixed…shouldn’t those at the very least be in a read me issues file? My bigger problem with this update for instance with regard to video, is that they broke stuff that worked before, almost all the problems I have seen with video and 5.1.1 including mine, is it breaks formats and files that worked before…and that work fine in other products…

rsp

Yes… I really honestly do. unless SB is that arrogant a company. Like I said, I beta test for other companies and I see how developers listen to loud (not abusive, by loud I mean those who don’t sit and quietly accept that status quo and decree read to them from the powers that be) voices especially if many beta testers agree with the original dissent.
rsp

Yes, would be nice if they put known problems into I&S document. Not related to beta-testers though.

They listen to loud voices when it’s technically possible.

So are we therefore to assume that auto scaling will not be back unless they have to do a complete rewrite of something that will make it technically possible?

I find it hard to believe that for instance the broken cleanup which I reported since last july or the edit mp3 tag or the track preset panning if observed by the beta team and ‘reminders’ made are technically not possible to fix…
A beta team members gets first line access and will of course most likely ensure that their workflow problems get addressed…
rsp

You forgot about pros, when saying that. Is there any other product that allows smooth editing and moving video on timeline? Nuendo 4 can’t do that, Nuendo 5 can. Also, Nuendo 4 couldn’t show DV video in high quality mode normally. Nuendo 5 can… I have no problems here with video, using H264, DV, Photo-JPEG (Of course SD only as my PC is quite slow).

I guess so

see my point above :slight_smile:…you got what you want… many of us others didn’t…
with 5.0 I could use h264 videos as is sent to me by my clients… by 5.1.1 I have problems with those same h264 formats and no longer can autoscale.you are happy, I am not at all.
rsp

I wouldn’t say “many”. A few users on this forum, yes. Obviously. And I am sure those issues will be addressed. Enlarging beta-team will not cover all specific cases anyway (it’s not that I am against it. This is simply not root of problem).

One of my favourite products that I am fortunate enough to also be a beta tester… there is no one on the team that uses Tiger still and there was a problem apparently with Tiger that clearly slipped through beta testing…Now that company increased the beta team and included ppl who still use Tiger…

I have been there, it is very easy to get very defensive about beta testing if you are indeed a beta tester for the product… Human nature…

How I and others I know approach it is if we see a problem reported on a forum, even a forum that is not an official forum, we bring the thread to the beta group for it to be fixed… I hope the Nuendo team is similar.

rsp