Nuendo 9 predictions (EDIT: Nuendo 10!)

Clever to tell us something about development without mentioning all those juicy jubilee features that are about to come :smiley: But of course, here on the forums we’re also interested in the behind-the-scene stuff.

I am wondering, because in the past, Cubase had features that Nuendo didn’t have because it was further ahead in the release cycle, and because of Nuendo being the bigger package, Nuendo had post exclusive features Cubase didn’t have. It was a bit of a mess in terms of which package has what features. So with this merging of the dev branches, does this mean that Nuendo always has all features included in Cubase and has additional post features? This would mean there is NO reason to license Cubase as a Nuendo user.

I’m asking because, of course, some here on the forums had problems with Nuendo and/or wanted access to features only available in Cubase with a new Cubase version. Some asked for a Cubase license being included in the Nuendo version so one could open both packages.

Do I understand correctly that this won’t be necessary because Nuendo is built from the same dev branch and only features additional post features? Of course, if a new Cubase version comes out, fixes and changes made on the main branch will be in Cubase first but because release cycles should get faster, it won’t be for long.

What’s the story here?

Thanks Timo

PS: And what about the eLicenser Dongle? Still a requirement? :mrgreen:

Hey Timo!

This is indeed great news, thank you for sharing the sneak peek! BTW, I really appreciate that you are letting us know some of the inside thinking at Steinberg, and sharing/interacting more in the forum. I’ve noticed this from some other Steinberg folks in recent months as well, and this is very valuable to the community and for customer relations. Thank you. I’m sure I’m not the only one that thinks this.

BTW – and this is a super small thing, but maybe something for the marketing department in case they’ve used the word a lot in the marketing text – I noticed you used the word “JUBILEE,” which is usually associated with the intervals of 25, 50, and 60, corresponding to “silver”, “gold”, and “diamond”. So I hope you are not announcing that Nuendo 10 will be launched in 2025, 2050, or 2060! :open_mouth:

Or if you’re using “jubilee” in the Roman Catholic sense, which is usually every 25 years dealing with repentance and forgiveness, then it looks like with Nuendo 10, all sins will be forgiven, and life begins anew, well, I’m all for that too! :wink:

Now if you’re just using “jubilee” in a generic sense (but still technically valid if I understand it), then I’m sure it’s fine. Although some word geek out there might make a smart-a$$ comment about it.

Cool post :slight_smile:

Great!
Btw: As @uarte already wrote we really appreciate that you and your colleagues are sharing information and commenting/answering our questions. Thank you!

This is very exciting news!!!

hey,
I was just about to write about how I got stuck while forgetting my license in the studio.

1. Is rumor on this thread about the “dongle free” is true? Will it be for all products and versions or just Nuendo?
    As someone who is moving a lot from the studio this dongle thing is a nightmare.

2. What are the predictions about pricing?

It’s as “true” as any rumor; about a year ago in this forum Timo mentioned that SB was going to be looking into improving the dongle situation. What this means in practical purposes at this time is anyone’s guess.

Several Steinberg products can use the soft e-licenser, which eliminates the dongle requirement for those products. It still doesn’t allow use of “system-wide” dongle-dependent add-ons like at least one of the reverbs that come with Nuendo (I think–it’s been a long time since I used it!).

Believe me, I feel your pain. I frequently work on planes, airports, hotels and green rooms, and the dongle is an extremely unwelcome inconvenience, and yet another thing to break, get lost, or damage a usb slot under unpredictable and uncontrollable field conditions.

Some of us have been advocating for a real mobile solution for years now. I very much hope Steinberg comes up with better options soon.

Chewy

Well this is just my bad English. There is no “jubilee version” official communication.
I had just finished Saturday breakfast. Too much coffee I guess.

Whew! Glad we squared that up – I was worried Nuendo 10 wasn’t going to come out until 2025 or 2050! :wink:

And BTW, your English a heck of a lot better than my German.

In all seriousness, thanks again for keeping us posted in the forum. Looking forward to next week!

Quick question on the “Professional Audio” division of Steinberg. You mentioned that it had Nuendo and Wavelab, for example, but does it also include Cubase? Or is that considered in a different division now?

Cubase is part of the Music Instruments division.

O.K., everybody! Disconnect your internet, and go make some music, while I check for the announcement.

We can’t ALL be glued to the screen, waiting for the update!

I guess re-reading Timo’s post…

I can answer this myself. People that have Nuendo will have ALL features of Cubase. So, after all these years it seems that Cubase’s features are 100% folded into Nuendo and Nuendo is sort of a Cubase Pro for Post. Finally. Right?

That seems to be the case, yes.

I think this will likely work well if they speed up the release cycle. Otherwise either Cubase users will complain because it takes longer to implement / release new versions, or releases will contain less “meat” since they’re more frequent.

But it’s great to hear that Steinberg has increased the user base and are adding people to their teams. I truly do wish the company the best!

I’m curious to see what the new release will contain specifically for us in post…

That’s how I’m reading it too. Makes sense.

I’ve got the sense that the current yearly November-ish release for Cubase is here to stay… so my guess is that we’re going to get Nuendo 10 really really soon (any day now, crossing fingers), and then Nuendo 10.5 with the Cubase 10.5 update in November/December. Then version 11 the following November, etc… Or pretty close to that, and so forth. Maybe there will be a little transition time as the development calendars continue to get synchronized… but it seems from what Timo said that they’re going to try to be very close to each other.

Totally agree. Very glad to hear that they’re generating enough revenue in the Pro Audio division to hire more people. Steinberg sounds like it’s on a healthy financial footing. Good news for all of us.

Yes, please! I’m strangely excited for this release in particular. I’ve got a big film project I want to do in Nuendo 10 if possible – I want all the goodness from Cubase 10 + the post features of Nuendo. Crossing fingers this week is the big week.

having just upgraded to v8 31 days ago - I’m anxious to see the grace period information :cry:

Well now they built some hype so they have to deliver! (jk)

My guess would be improved video engine/functionality, possibly a field recorder workflow, and maybe some VR stuff added. I wonder if there will be significant updates to the more ‘general’ and ‘basic’ functionality of the DAW, like mixing etc…

WHAAAAAT???
CUT DETECTION???

you made my day!!!

The plot thickens! :wink:

Called it!

And no, hadn’t seen the video yet…