Nuendo and Avid/Digidesign converters

Does anybody know if Nuendo works with the latest Avid/Digidesign converters system?
A friend of mine is putting together a studio and he is going to use the latest Protools HDX system.
But he would like to also buy Nuendo and use it with the same converters.
Is it possible to do that?

Hello,
It will work if you install the CoreAudio or ASIO drivers for the HDX. However you only get, if I remember correctly, the first 8 I/O, which is silly on Avid’s part. Depending on your application it may be worth your while to get another interface that you use just with Nuendo.

Hugh

It is going to be a big studio with a 40 I/O console. If Nuendo can’t use all the I/O there is no use for it.
I can’t believe Avid have restricted the use of their converters like that.
Does anybody know if there is any way around this?
Any help appreciated.

When I ran into the same irritation when wanting to use Nuendo to record through Avid stuff at a friend’s studio a few years ago, Avid’s response to the same question was, and I quote: “Yes, you can get Pro Tools.”

Imagine that! :astonished:

Chewy

Still better than Yamaha. No answer at all so far.

Still better than Yamaha. No answer at all so far.

Since it’s Avid’s limitation what would you expect Yamaha to say? :confused:

Exactly. When I ran into this issue I did call Steinberg support-- I think the only time I’ve done it in the last 10 years. And, the answer was as rhetorically suggested-- “it’s Avid’s option.”

Insert Avid editorial here… :smiling_imp:

Chewy

This is the kind of answer that I would expect from this forum but not from Yamaha.
Protools is the most used DAW. Lots of people and studios still consider it a standard. If I created a software like Nuendo, I would really like to know if it runs with one of the most used converters around! Especially the converters that everybody has to buy if they want to use the so called industry standard DAW.
It would be a great selling point to get Nuendo into big studios.
I guess they don’t need it or they just don’t care.

Gee, it’s kind of hard not to take that personally. You got your answer here; it was friendly. Why so snippy?

We all know that Yamaha does not write Avid’s drivers, and that the Avid driver limitation is built in by Avid. Why they do it is no mystery.

A simple Google search for Avid hardware Nuendo brings up a plethora of redundant examples of how the hardware’s limited for Nuendo.

I would not expect Yamaha or Steinberg to be responsible for documenting the limitations of third-party, “unofficial” software, regardless of that third-party’s status. Perhaps you would. Regardless, the truth is out there, and easy to find. Why not be nice?

Chewy

Come on, no need to take that personally. I didn’t take the comment as unfriendly. I just meant the comment was unhelpful.
We shouldn’t expect Yamaha to be responsible for Avid’s products. But we definitely should expect Yamaha to take these kind of enquiries more seriously and at least answer. That was the point.

I got an answer from Avid, through a local music shop. The limit now is 32 I/O, not 8.

Well, that’s better than 8… when’d they switch? That’s actually great news, if for real!

Chewy

They change the limit with the new converters.

Dont know exactly how different those new HDX asio drivers might be vs. “old” IO 96 etc drivers, but those “old” ones dont get you that good performance powerwise.

Bye / Tumppi