We have a new customer who wants to offer his disc releases in both Atmos and Auro-3D. The question now is, will the contract cost me extra money?
Nuendo can do Auro-3D. But what exactly can Nuendo do? I’ve spent hours reading about Auro-3D. But the forum and the manual don’t give much information. And the Auro-3D website is not very enlightening either. (Lots of marketing gobbledygook.)
What I understood, or think I understood:
- Auro-3D is channel-based.
- Nuendo offers channel layouts in the various Auro-3D formats.
- MixConvert V6 supports Auro-3D.
- Auro-3D is encoded in a PCM stream. The encoding process is “invisible”, so the PCM file can be played back as normal. Auro-3D-enabled devices then extract the necessary information and use it to create the final Auro-3D signal.
- If desired, the PCM signal can be converted to, for example, DTS-HD Master Audio or FLAC. (For use on a Blu-ray or streaming services, etc.)
- The Auro-3D information is encoded into the PCM stream using the Auro codec. (There is also another new codec, but this is not relevant here.)
What exactly can Nuendo do?
I’d like to ask this because Auro-3D writes on its website:
Full native support for recording and mixing in AURO-3D® is provided in (…) Nuendo (…) for all AURO-3D formats up to Auro 13.1.
The word “encoding” is missing from the list, as the astute reader will have noticed. That’s why I first thought I needed the Auro-3D Creative Tools Suite to use Auro codec. But while reading the manual, I came across the following:
In order to export your mix, you can: Use the bounce options natively provided by the DAW to export your Immersive Mix, Binaural Mix or Stereo Downmix. (…)
Exporting the Auro-Codec encoded mix not in Realtime (natively provided by Nuendo): If the Realtime Export checkbox is not checked before exporting the Auro-Codec Encoded Mix, It is recommended to execute the export process in combination with the Auro-Codec Encoder Export Button.
Does this mean that Nuendo has the Auro codec built in (e.g. with MixConvert)? And that I should perform this mix in real time?
I’m at a bit of a loss and would be very grateful for any enlightening answers. Interpretations of the quoted texts or a discussion about Auro-3D in general are also welcome.
Thank you for your attention (so far).